Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Adding a buddy

My sister has a macbook pro and she shows up on my buddy list and others. However, a friend of mine has a new macbook pro and we cannot seem to add my sister. She always shows off-line, even when I am on-line with her. I checked the settings, her account name, and all seems to be kosher. I can't seem to figure out why she won't show up on this ONE person's computer as "on-line". The AIM name is the same as on mine, we all show up except her. Any ideas of what I should look for on my next screensharing trip?

Helga

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Jan 1, 2012 12:48 AM

8 replies

Jan 1, 2012 1:10 PM in response to Helga

Hi,

On your Sister's Mac in iChat menu > Preferences > Accounts > Security settings what does she have set ?

If for Instance it says Allow Buddy List Only and the new Buddy is NOT in her list then the new Buddy will not see her as being On-line.

Same for Allow Specific People only. The New Buddy needs to be added to that List.

User uploaded file
9:10 PM Sunday; January 1, 2012

Please, if posting Logs, do not post any Log info after the line "Binary Images for iChat"

 iMac 2.5Ghz 5i 2011 (Lion 10.7.2)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
"Limit the Logs to the Bits above Binary Images."  No, Seriously

Jan 1, 2012 4:30 PM in response to Helga

(this is what I think, so it may not be completely corect.) With ichat you can use @mac.com, @gmail.com, @yahoo.com, @aim.com, @me.com. A while back we all got email, saying @mac.com was going to @me.com. I am not following you when you say the AIM name is the same as yours. I would suggest going to the address book, and removing her user name from the aim spot, and just keeping her name in the email... see if that works... also try to the appleid instead of AIM. You can find out your Apple id from https://appleid.apple.com/ in case you dont know it. I use on my ichat my Apple id, my gmail, and my aim usernames. But only the Aim, and the Apple id do I get video and voice with.

Jan 2, 2012 11:15 AM in response to Carlo TD

Hi,

Would you find if I tired to lay this out differently ?

iChat can use names that log in to different servers.

These tend to be with the major IM services

AIM,

Jabber

and Yahoo (with iChat 6)

Some names for other places work with some of those type of servers.

Namely the Apple IDs ending with @mac.com and @me.com are also valid AIM screen names (Can be used as a AIM Name or can add those Buddies to a List that logs into AIM).

Facebook and Google run Jabber Servers.

This means that if you enable Chat on your Facebook Account and Talk on your GoogleMail (it has to be Google mail rather than any other Google account) then this will work as a Jabber ID and those Buddies can be added ao any Jabber Buddy List you run.

In iChat 6 if you have a Yahoo ID you can use it in iChat.

However you cannot not add MSN Buddies to this Buddy list like you can with the Yahoo app (PC or Mac)

Nor can you use a MSN name to log in.

Only Yahoo names work.

AIM Valid IDs (Screen Names)
Jabber Valid IDs
Yahoo Valid IDs

AIM (Any name registered with AIM, AOL or any subsidory)

May or may not include an @AOL.com or similar email ending)

GoogleMail IDs (enable Talk) Only Yahoo Names

Apple ID ending @mac.com

(from any period in time, Trial or

Lasped account or linked now with @me.com)

Any Jabber Server ID

Apple ID ending @me.com

form Mobile Me or iCloud Registrations

Facebook Chat ID (Enable Chat)
Any Email registered as the AIM ID

NOTES:-

Some Jabber servers run what are called Transports can you can use a Jabber Buddy List to Add Buddies from other services like MSN, IRC and so on.

Although Helga seems to be talking about an Apple ID ending in @mac.com not all Apple ID are valid AIM Screen Names (of course we then get exceptions such as using your Goolge Maill or Facebook ID as your Apple ID which will then work in the Jabber side of iChat rather than being an AIM valid Name)

On Video And Audio Only chats.

These will work for Jabber (Google and Facebook) and Yahoo IF the other end is an iChat Buddy.

User uploaded file
7:15 PM Monday; January 2, 2012

Please, if posting Logs, do not post any Log info after the line "Binary Images for iChat"

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Jan 2, 2012 1:48 PM in response to Ralph-Johns-UK

Ok, before this goes further, I am not able to check everything suggested so speedily as my sister is in Germany, I am in the US and the only person not being able to get her is out of town. Here are my thoughts, I think my sister is logged into aim with her aim username. I also think the other person is trying to get her with her .mac name. So when I get a chance I'll have to try those options, to make sure she isn't attempting to get her with the .mac address but with the AIM name. I just checked my info on her, and I think that's where the problem lies. I'll post when I have the answer or need more help. Thanks for all your help so far though.

Jan 2, 2012 2:06 PM in response to Helga

Hi Helga,

Part of that is my fault. I only looked back at part of what you said (I had the imprssion it was you and your Sister that could not contact each other)

To be clear for other readers.

You can create a Buddy list that logs in to AIM with name similar to:-

username

username@aim.com

username@mac.com or

username@me.com

You can add Buddies of the same format (that are Valid AIM names) to that Buddy list

However Most Jabber Server follow the format that looks like an email:-

username@someJabber.Server.com or in the case of Google usename@gmail.com or @googlemail.com

With the AIM names it is common for non Mac Users to think that the ID of a Mac person will end in one of the two Apple type IDs.

It is also easy to Add a Jabber ID to an "AIM" List, in error, as both accept the email format for Names but they will always appear Off line.

User uploaded file
10:06 PM Monday; January 2, 2012

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Adding a buddy

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.