Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Aperture freezes every time it is opened.

Aperture freezes each time I open it. The only way it will work is to do a total rebuild each time. It also asks if i want to join "me.com" each time.

I downloaded the most recent version from the Apps store. It says I have version 3.2.2. I have also done an update from the Apps store. i have removed the program and reinstalled multiple times. All other software has been updated.

The other programs i use commonly are Itunes, Safari and VMWare (where i run Windows). Aperture appears to have difficulties with the rebuild if any other program is open. I havent noticed a difference in what program is open.

Aperture typically runs okay once it open, even when all other above mentioned programs are open.

Thank you for any thoughts.

Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Jan 1, 2012 8:24 AM

7 replies

Jan 2, 2012 3:16 AM in response to randallfrommeriden

Hello Randal,

tell us more about your system: how much RAM do you have, the size of your system drive, how much is used, how much is free?

Quite frequently such freezes are due to insufficient RAM, i.e. with running pro applications under Lion.

Do you see any error messages or warnings in the Console window while aperture is starting up?

What does the Activity Viewer show (memory, cpu). Both Console and Activity Viewer are located in Applications -> Utilities.

It also asks if i want to join "me.com" each time.

If you have web galleries published on MobileMe Aperture wants to sync them. If you don't want the galleries any longer, remove them from MM, that will reduce the waiting time, otherwise sign in again to MM, so that Aperture can sync the galleries again.

Regards

Léonie

Jan 2, 2012 7:57 AM in response to randallfrommeriden

Thank you for a reply Leonie,

Here is some information I could pull down,

Model Name: iMac

Model Identifier: iMac11,1

Processor Name: Intel Core i7

Processor Speed: 2.8 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 4

L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB

L3 Cache: 8 MB

Memory: 8 GB

Processor Interconnect Speed: 4.8 GT/s

Boot ROM Version: IM111.0034.B02

SMC Version (system): 1.54f36

Serial Number (system): W8952DC75RU

Hardware UUID: F6ED8F96-EE57-5C76-BC8F-B323B9A7DF32

Hard Drive: There is 1.33 TB available

Ram: I am using 5.3GB and have 2.69 available (This is when I am using Safari, VMWAre with Windows, and Itunes). When I start Aperture essentially all the RAM gets taken.

Does it sound like I need more RAM and/or I am not using the RAM efficiently.

Thank you for a very helpful response

Randy

Jan 2, 2012 8:20 AM in response to randallfrommeriden

Randy,

how large is your Aperture Library? Is it on the system drive or an external or network volume? Referenced or managed?

Could you also try to launch the Aperture Activity Window, when you lauch Aperture?

Aperture Application menu -> Window -> Show Activity

What does it say at launch up?

Does it sound like I need more RAM and/or I am not using the RAM efficiently.

To run Aperture, what you have should suffice, RAM o.k., Disk space plenty. But if you want to run Safari and iTunes always in the background, it would help to get more RAM for a better performance.

Regards

Léonie

Jan 2, 2012 8:55 AM in response to randallfrommeriden

Besides rebuilding the library and reinstalling Aperture, what did you try from the

Aperture 3: Troubleshooting Basics: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3805 sofar?

I would run a hardware check, to make sure your RAM and disk are o.k.

and as a last ressort reinstall Lion.

Did you install anything else besides Lion lately? Application enhancers and haxies, video codecs, ...

Jan 2, 2012 12:12 PM in response to léonie

Hi - only another thought, rather than actual knowledge: This sounds a bit like it's doing the Faces processing or the image processing for a large libary upon initial use or import - would that be the case here? If you don't let it finish, it may be trying to do it each time.

How long do you wait before deciding it has frozen? Does the request for MobileMe come up before or after the freeze?

Aperture freezes every time it is opened.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.