Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

TextEdit won't not open up!

When I open my computer and it starts up, the first program that opens up on start up is TextEdit (word processor that came with my computer). I don't want this to happen. I tried going in to user and group setting and making sure that it wasn't in the list of items that open on start up. I also tried right clicking it in the dock; navigating to options and UNchecking "Open at Login". No matter what I do it still opens up when I first start up. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Jan 1, 2012 10:32 AM

12 replies

Jan 1, 2012 10:42 AM in response to bisaak

Do you have anything in Login Items that would need it even if you don't have the application itself there?

Does it still open up if you start in Safe Mode (shift key held down during boot)? How about rebooting normally again?

Does it open in a different account?

For something pernicious you may need to check in /Library/launchagents, /Library/startupitems

http://discussions.apple.com/message.jspa?messageID=12793202#12793202

Jan 2, 2012 8:26 AM in response to Limnos

No, there is no application or RTF document that is in the login items list that needs "TextEdit" to open.

Nothing opens in safe mode except Finder, a window that says my virus protection software couldn't open and other basic things like the dock, menubar, desktop picture etc.

My computer is setup to automatically open to my account and bypass the login window. My mac is setup for my school so the only other accounts are Parent, Administrator and Me. That means that I don't have access to the other accounts so I can't try your third sugestion. Thanks so much!

TextEdit won't not open up!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.