Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Since my last Lion update, my iMac has been plagued with problems?

My Elements WD HD Un mounts unexpectedly, the keyboard has become erratic, sometimes freezes, hasitates then start wildly in repeat letters. I have tried another keyboard and it behaves the same. Could these symptoms be related to a faulty USB internally? With all the other ailments, it might be time to replace this iMac!

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Jan 1, 2012 11:09 AM

5 replies

Jan 1, 2012 2:30 PM in response to sgtphil

sgtphil wrote:

My Elements WD HD Un mounts unexpectedly, the keyboard has become erratic, sometimes freezes, hasitates then start wildly in repeat letters. I have tried another keyboard and it behaves the same. Could these symptoms be related to a faulty USB internally? With all the other ailments, it might be time to replace this iMac!

Can you post some details of your iMac please.

Cheers

Jan 1, 2012 3:39 PM in response to mulligans missus

Here is the skinny on my iMac, 24" OS 10.7.2. This computer has a none functioning SuperDrive and its internal HD is also none functioning (every once in a wile it would mount) but it can't be repaired by disk utility. At that time I was running Snow Leopard, on a USB external HD, everything was running very well. I had Time Machine on a Seagate HD via USB and was able to restore from this when the internal HD craped out.

About 2 months ago, I did the Lion up grade, 10.7.2, and was able to get all the family iOS 5 devices moved to iCloud. Time Machine continued on the Seagate, then I added a 1T WD Elements HD for some specific file backup via Chronosync.

About 10 days ago I noticed that the WD Elements HD had un mounted unexpectedly. From that point on it has rolliecoastered into computer ****! The Seagate won't mount a all and the WD won't stay mounted, so I have no backup.

I will shut down this while I wait the delivery of a new iMac 27 safely saving the only copy of my stuff for 20 years. I ave tried to get Carbonite to backup but ths is NOT WORKING.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Jan 2, 2012 10:51 AM in response to mulligans missus

Set up to perform backup for iMac with bad USB:

Using an iBook G4, 1.25 GHz, connected a 1.5T HD to USB, then used Ethernet cable to LAN, Sharing turned on. From the iMac I connected to the iBook via LAN, selected the 1.5T HD, which than appeared on the iMac's Desktop. From the iMac's Time Machine prefs, I selected the 1.5T HD as TM and started the backup.

So far, so good at about 80 of 296 GB transferred for 1st BU. At this post I'm at 127 of 296 GB.

Both computers are running cool. It was estimated to take 14 hours for initial BU.

The BU takes about 40-60% CPU and the dreaded mdworker takes about 13% CPU. This is nothing like when mdworker was indexing on the iMac before the TM would un mount.

New iMac should be here 4-5 Jan, backup should be complete + a few cycles. I'll leave it running until then.

Amen!

Jan 4, 2012 2:55 AM in response to sgtphil

Now, I have several day of TimeMachine backup for the ill iMac. The boot drive is external via USB. I will receive a new iMac 27" tomorrow.

A NEW QUESTION: How do I migrate the old data, etc to the new iMac? Should I use the TimeMachine backup or the bootable external hard drive as the sourc? Or should I copy the old data to my new iMac the slow way?

Some local experts say the later would be best, but I ask for a more competent answer.

Since my last Lion update, my iMac has been plagued with problems?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.