Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does the iPhone 4S support HDMI->OUT via the digital AV adapter?

Does the 4S support HDMI ->OUT via the digital AV adapter or not? I read that it does (whether it be mirroring, YouTube video playback, movie playback, etc.) but I'm not having any luck. I recently tried my AV adapter (that I normally use with my iPad 2) but I get nothing. When I power cycle the phone after connecting the adapter, I get a error stating that the "accessory is not supported by iPhone". When I go to play a YouTube video, it shows up on the phone's screen for a second and then disappears. The LCD TV I am connected to never prompts me for the detection of a new HDMI device being connected" either, do I have no clue what's going on.

Any ideas? Thought?

Any help to solving this riddle once and for all would be appreciated.

Thanks and Happy New Year!!

Andy

P.S. - my 4S is running iOS 5.0.1 and is a Verizon 16gb model.

iPhone 4S, iOS 5.0.1

Posted on Jan 1, 2012 2:18 PM

4 replies

Jan 1, 2012 6:41 PM in response to andyinpgh

Needed to add something. I tried the cable on my wife's iPhone 4 running iOS 5.0.1 and everything worked great. Also, my 4S recognizes my charger when I plug it into the AV adapter. I can't really say if my phone is recognizing the AV part of the adapter since I am told that the adapter is not an accessory that the iPhone supports when I power up with the adapter plugged into my phone. Beginning to wonder if it is a hardware issue with my phone (perhaps the connector?) but am not sure if the phone needs to go back to Verizon or sent back to Apple...

Jan 8, 2012 10:28 AM in response to LawsonStone

Thank you so much for your reply. Could you please tell me what version of iOS you are running on your 4s and if there is a part number on your AV adapter (I assume you bought the Apple brand), could you please list that too? If we both have the same phone but yours works and mine doesn't, I'm wondering if the difference is in our version of iOS or maybe your AV adapter is somehow a newer revision than mine? I have been on the phone with Apple several times about this and even they are stumped.....

Thanks again for your help!!

Andy

Jan 8, 2012 11:13 AM in response to andyinpgh

The model number on the adaptor is A1388. The link is here:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC953ZM/A?fnode=MTc0MjU4NjE

I have the iPhone 4s, running 5.0.1 (9A405)

I have also experimented with sequence, and I see no particular order needed to make it work. Generally I get it all plugged in and then swipe the iPhone and in a few moments, the screen appears in mirroring mode. Then if I go to Videos I can play my clips with sound, or I can do Keynote presentations, etc.

So sorry to hear you're having trouble. I imagine you've already double-checked that you're seating it solidly in the dock connector and have a good, working HDMI cable. I am not sure what you mean in your original post about "powering up" the phone. It might also be some Verizon issue, though I don't know what that might be. Is your AV adaptor the Apple branded one?

Does the iPhone 4S support HDMI->OUT via the digital AV adapter?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.