Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bootcamp in Windows 7 Enterprise can't be updated

I'm using Windows 7 Enterprise and bootcamp 3.0 on my MacBook. Problems is I can't update to bootcamp 3.1 manually or by software update. What's wrong?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on Jan 1, 2012 2:24 PM

6 replies

Jan 1, 2012 11:16 PM in response to Jaygyver

I tried to run as administrator to update the downloaded file manually as instructed but nothing happen. If I used the update via bootcamp icon gives the same results. Nothing is updated using both method. Actually my daughter is using the MacBook for her school work. The IT staff reformat the system and installed Windows 7 Enterprise with bootcamp 3.0 on the MacBook. She will login thru the school network each time she use the MacBook. But she had this random flickering screen when using Windows. When I checked, her bootcamp is ver 3.0 and the other System is Mac OS Lion. When we tried to update unsuccessful, we seek the school IT staff and they just says they themselves do not know how to solve it. They ask us to contact apple about it. Some tech staff huh.

Jan 2, 2012 1:41 AM in response to delarouch

There's also a way to delete a file in Windows to make the Apple Software Updater recheck and then update everything but I'll be buggered if I can find it.

This may be easier, trythis link first. It's an older archive but the features are still there.

""Alternately, in Classic View of Control Panel, click Programs and Features."" (Its the same in W7 under classic view)

It may also be a Permissions issue to tho.

You CAN just install the Boot Camp 3.1 video driver by itself (or all of them) if that's the only one giving you problems. You just extract the individual driver(s) directly from the main file.

If your daughter is using 10.7 and has W7 installed then you can update directly to Boot Camp 4.0 via the Boot Camp Assistant in Lion. Here's a link that can give you more information.

Basically while booted into Lion you use an empty USB thumb drive (4 gig should be fine, or 6 or 8 gig if you want to install an iso version of W7 in the future) and using "Disk Utility" format it as MS-DOS (FAT) and it will then download the drivers onto it. Be prepared, as it's a fairly large file (600MB?ish).

When it's done downloading unplug the USB drive first then re-boot into Windows and then you can plug the USB drive in and the Boot Camp installer should start right up. You should get an installer window asking to "Run setup.exe" or "Open" as a folder when it mounts. It may take several seconds after plugging it in. If it doesn't then open it up and click on the "setup.exe" and off you go.

If you leave the drive plugged in when you reboot, sometimes the installer won't start-up automatically.

Jan 2, 2012 9:50 PM in response to Jaygyver

Firstly thanks for the help. I managed to download the drivers n setup files into a thumbdrive. When I tried to run setup.exe, the software trying to install bootcamp again. Will this software overide the existing partition n bootcamp which consist of Windows 7 Enteprice? But I managed to install individually files like th NVdia drivers, the trackpad drivers & the keyboard. Bootcamp stil shows Version 3.0

Jan 2, 2012 11:29 PM in response to delarouch

You know, I just had a thought, while booted in Windows, insert the 10.6 MacOS installer disk and the Boot Camp installer should come up just like before (or click on the setup.exe again) and have it Repair the Boot Camp drivers this time. Take the disk out and reboot and see if the Apple Software Updater will work now.

Hmmm, it's been a while since i've installed it and that was in 10.6 so I'm not sure why it wants to re-start the Windows install. It should only install the drivers.

Are you sure it want's to re-install Windows or is it trying to install Boot Camp drivers?

What version of the drivers did you download, 4.0 or the 3.1 drivers? Normally you need to download in series, 3.0 to 3.1 and 3.1 to 3.2 on up, you can't skip versions. Did you look at the link I gave you? I believe you can just skip to 4.0 and not have to update all the way to 3.4 first.

Yes, it will erase the current install of Window if you let Windows reinstall via Boot Camp.

While in Windows you should be able to install them just like any other program you would normally install. Boot Camp Assistant only starts the install process on the Mac side and stops it's duty's when it re-boots into the Windows installer.

It will still show the old version of Boot Camp as you aren't installing via the stock installer so the Apple software in charge of the Boot Camp drivers in Windows won't interpret the individual drivers as the whole package.

The main Boot Camp driver .exe installer will write to the Apple software in Windows what it installed similar to when you install via the Apple Software Updater on the Mac side. It keeps track of the system package files it installs.

Jan 3, 2012 6:24 AM in response to delarouch

> Firstly thanks for the help. I managed to download the drivers n setup files into a thumbdrive. When I tried to run setup.exe, the software trying to install bootcamp again. Will this software overide the existing partition n bootcamp which consist of Windows 7 Enteprice? But I managed to install individually files like th NVdia drivers, the trackpad drivers & the keyboard. Bootcamp stil shows Version 3.0

Download the drivers only from Lion so you have the Boot Camp 4.01+ drivers.

you normally can update from 3.x to 4.0 but I'd go ahead and uninstall all the Apple stuff you find in programs like Boot Camp program.

Error messages, low free space, other issues may require cleaning temp, cache, even using Windows 7 DVD to check for system repairs possibly. And don't forget to do a chkdsk as well. To be safe.

Unless you remove the partition in either Boot Camp Assistant or Windows, it will still be there. ONLY donwload drivers to USB thumb/flash.

When you get done you still want to manually add audio, graphic driver (Nvidia? mobility latest).

Bootcamp in Windows 7 Enterprise can't be updated

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.