Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to correct "An incompatible audio signal" with Apple TV and HD signal

I have an Apple tv2(mc572Ll/a) running version 4.4.4 of the software, connecting to an older Sharp Aquos LCD-26d6u TVvia a regular HDMI cable.

I used to be able to watch a rented movie until my onsitel technician/ teenager adjusted something.

Now when the preview plays the sound works. When a video is displayed using AirPlay from the iPhone the sound works.

But when the HD movie plays the message "an incompatible audio signal has been received. Check the output device settings" and there is no sound.

When I connect this to a newer HDTV the movie sound works.

Any suggestions on what Apple tv or tv settings to use to get the sound back (other than upgrading my technician/teenager/tv)?

AppleTV 2

Posted on Jan 1, 2012 3:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 1, 2012 3:51 PM

Try adjusting the audio out and/or Dolby digital settings (settings > audio & video)

4 replies

Sep 7, 2013 1:56 AM in response to Winston Churchill

Thanks! I changed the Dolby setting from On to Auto, and the sound started working for Netflix TV shows. Before I was getting the message:

Incompatible audio format received check output device settings

and there was no sound.

The Settings are accessed through Apple TV. When you have Apple TV on, and you see all the colored rectangles for Netflix, huluplus, HBO etc., (which can be accessed by repeatedly hitting the Menu button on the remote), the top row shows:

Movies TV Shows Music Computers Settings

Use the 4 way controller to choose Settings, then press the button in the center of the 4 way controller to select Settings. Then select Audio Video. Then scroll down to Dolby Digital. When you are on Dolby Digital and you push the button in the center of the 4 way controller, the setting will change. I changed the Dolby Digital setting to Auto.

How to correct "An incompatible audio signal" with Apple TV and HD signal

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.