Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I add additional airport expresses to my system that are not being recognized by Airport utility?

I recently purchased time capsule to upgrade my wireless system. I have 3 airport expresses in my network; I was able to reconfigure one, but the other 2 won't reconfigure. They are not recognized by Airport utility after being reset; the time capsule and one reconfigured airport express shows up. I would like to use the other two airport expresses to extend my wireless system. I would appreciate any help and suggestions.

Posted on Jan 1, 2012 5:38 PM

8 replies

Jan 1, 2012 6:00 PM in response to craigs2020

I'm not sure how you are doing this. So I'll tell you what I did to run two routers together. My daughter has an Imac in the basement which did not pick up the signal vey well off the wireless router upstairs. So, Opened an internet browser and type in the ip address of the router or base station you are trying to configure. If the ip address is the same as one of the other ones you'll need to change it. It can be the same all the way up to the last number. Change that then disable dhcp. that work for me.

Jan 2, 2012 7:48 AM in response to craigs2020

Unfortunately, you will have to use Apple's WDS setting for all of the devices on the network....Time Capsule, new AirPort Express and older AirPort Express devices.

That is going to slow things down tremendously on the network.

WDS only operates at "g" wireless speed, so you lose any "n" speed advantage of your newer devices.

Worse, the bandwidth is cut in half on the entire network for each device that is set up as "relay" or "remote" on the system.

So, the first "remote" (or relay) cuts wireless speed from 54 Mbps down to 27 Mbps. The second cuts everything down to about 14 Mbps and the third drops everything down to about 7 Mpbs. That is much slower than the old wireless "b" systems.

Compare that to "n" speeds of 130 Mbps or up to 300 Mbps (if you are using 5 GHz) and you can easily see that you are losing more than 90% of the speed capability on the network.

Do you even want to consider doing this?

Jan 2, 2012 7:54 AM in response to Bob Timmons

That is interesting. My first airport express, which is the same model, joined without a problem and I did not have to make any changes in the settings for the time capsule. Is there a way to see what system I am using and what my wireless speeds are? I agree that it makes no sense to bring the wireless speed down so radically. If that is the case, I should probably invest in a new airport express and try to sell the older ones (or use them for travel).

How can I add additional airport expresses to my system that are not being recognized by Airport utility?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.