Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

connecting apple tv with optical audio cables

I have a new apple tv and need to connect via dvi to hdmi on my tv. problem is the audio. I am supposed to connect via option audio but don't know which cables to purchase and where it needs to be connected to FROM apple tv.

imac, Mac OS X (10.4.2)

Posted on Jan 1, 2012 6:01 PM

3 replies

Jan 1, 2012 6:07 PM in response to JoanneD

It's not entirely clear what you're looking for.

The AppleTV has a HDMI out port, so you just need a standard HDMI cable to connect to your TV. That HDMI cable will handle both audio and video signals.

The only reason to use an additional audio cable is if you want to send video traffic via HDMI to your TV while you send audio data to a separate reciever. You don't say that's the case, though, so it may be you don't need anything additional.

Jan 1, 2012 9:34 PM in response to JoanneD

Due to the limited number of HDMI connections on my TV I upgraded my home theater receiver to one with 4 HDMI inputs. I use it for all video and audio switching and the TV stays on one input. Much cleaner cabling as well. An HDMI switch is also an option to look at too. Be aware an automatic switching HDMI switch probably will not work due to the way the ATV sleeps (not sure with the ATV2's). You'll probably need a manual one with push buttons or a remote.

For the problem at hand, first you need to know what audio input you need with the DVI in on your TV before we can help. To start with you are going to be using optical audio out from the ATV, a Toslink cable out of the ATV to be precise. If your TV's DVI connection matches up to a Toslink digital input that's all you need.

More than likely it has a single RCA jack which would be a Digital Coax in. In this case you will need a Digital Toslink to Digital Coaxial converter as well as a Digital Coax cable. The Coax cable can be a simple audio cable with RCA jacks.

If the DVI on the TV matches up with an analog in, usually red and white RCA jacks, you are going a Digital Toslink to an analog L/R stereo converter. And of course the RCA stereo cable.

MonoPrice.com is a great resource for cheap cables and converter boxes. Link to digital converters http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10423

connecting apple tv with optical audio cables

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.