Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac stuck at startup screen after snow leopard install went bad

I have an iMac running on 10.4. I have all the requirements to install 10.6.

i bought the $30 cd to install it, put in the cd and chose install. It went to screen with the black/purple space background and a window that had me choose where to install it to. I think I booted from the install CD.

Chose english, it prepared installation, clicked continue on the install mac os x window. Then i had to choose where to install it. There was only one option (the hard disk) but when i clicked on it, it said i couldn't install it. So I clicked back but I couldn't quit the installation.

When I restarted the computer, it just kept going to the installation and I kept ending up in a dead end. So, I browsed for my available options to restart my computer running on my old OS. I clicked utilities > startup disk > then clicked the hard disk. I thought this would just restart the iMac normally.

The computer restarted, but now its stuck on the start up screen. I turn it on, stays on the apple logo, then it shuts itself off within 2-5 minutes.

Am I screwed? Did I lose all my files that were on the computer? I know I'm an idiot for not backing up all my files on an external hard drive.

How do I get out of this and just use my computer?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.3)

Posted on Jan 1, 2012 11:08 PM

4 replies

Jan 2, 2012 7:39 AM in response to azrielfster

Which specific model of iMac do you have? If the installer refused to install, then there must be a reason, such as lack of hard disk space, RAM, etc.

Did you eject the DVD, or is it still in the optical drive? If it's still in the drive, you should try booting from it by turning on the iMac and holding down the 'C' key until you see the spinning radian and see if it will boot from the DVD.

Post back with more info and results.

Mac stuck at startup screen after snow leopard install went bad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.