Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Address Book search not working with osx lion

I updated to Mac OS X Lion but the Address Book SEARCH feature does not work. I have to search manually. How do I fix this?

iMac G4, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Jan 2, 2012 4:11 AM

28 replies

Jan 3, 2012 10:46 AM in response to clueless curator san francisco

Got this solution from another member. worked for me:

Correct Answer by shep.mckee on Oct 25, 2011 3:57 PM

User uploaded file

Simon - Are you using iCloud and syncing your Contacts? I an similar issue that sounds just like yours:

• search didn't work
  • selecting a contact on the left did not cause the righ to update)
  • doduble-click on a contact did pull up the correct information
  • and (for me) my contacts worked fine when navigated to iCloud in Safari
If you are syncing with iCloud, try this.
  1. Back up your Address Book. Close Address book.
  2. Navigate to System Preferences > iCloud, and un-check Contacts.
  3. You'll get a message about deleting/keeping contacts on your Mac. Select "Delete From Mac"
  4. Check Contacts in the iCloud preference panel - which should then start the processing of downloading all you contacts from iCLoud to your address book.
This worked for me - hope it helps.Regards, ShepSee the answer in context

Jan 3, 2012 10:52 AM in response to Gerardo Tamez

Ifyou are syncing with iCloud, try this.

• Backup your Address Book. Close Address book.
  • Navigateto System Preferences > iCloud, and un-check Contacts.
  • You'llget a message about deleting/keeping contacts on your Mac. Select "DeleteFrom Mac"
  • CheckContacts in the iCloud preference panel - which should then start theprocessing of downloading all you contacts from iCLoud to your address book.

Apr 26, 2012 7:27 AM in response to librajean

I went back in and checked the contacts....I had added a new one for a test and they were not syncing

from one to the other or to my IPHONE. So I went back and rechecked the contacts in the ICloud and when

it said "to merge" I did and help my breath....but it did work....and I still have both address books working Unlike Gerardo though I never deleted from my Mac....just merged both

I always restart my computer after making these changes.....I don't know if it really effects but I think it does

Jun 30, 2012 12:19 PM in response to Gerardo Tamez

Apple: Please, please, please fix this bug!!! Address Book is a mess of a book in Lion (using 10.7.4). As other users have reported the search engine is completely non-functional, to open an address now requires a double-click which opens a separate window, and now, merge cards doesn't work presumably because the cards are each opened in a separate window.

Some community members have asked that we hear from Apple about this; add my name to that list.

Address Book search not working with osx lion

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.