4 Replies Latest reply: Jan 2, 2012 9:14 AM by 1 Open Loop
1 Open Loop Level 2 (350 points)

I noticed that Mail has the option to Add to iPhoto attachements.

Is there anyway to get Mail to add to Aperture as well?

• Frank Caggiano Level 7 (25,715 points)

Not directly as is the case with iPhoto.

But you can set up an Automatior action to do the job. Ths one set as a mail service works:

Screen Shot 2012-01-02 at 01-02 09.26.39.png

Modify the Aperture stuff to fit your needs.

• 1 Open Loop Level 2 (350 points)

Thanks. If you choose import by reference (since I have a referenced library) I guess I would then have to relocate the masters? Since I want them in a specific location, named with the Project name.

I sent Apple a feature request.

• Kirby Krieger Level 6 (12,510 points)

I suspect that for several reasons including how Mail handles attachments a workflow that imports files into the Aperture Library will be more robust.  You can always and easily filter for Images that have Managed Masters and relocate them.

Since I run several Libraries I have set up Finder folders for each into which I save Mail attachments and Web downloads, then periodically import the contents of the Finder folder by moving the files to the location I want.

Note, too, that you always drag-and-drop from Mail (and other apps).  This works well for those one-at-a-time imports.  I had thought there was a way to force Aperture to import as referenced using the last used import settings, but I can't find any record of this (perhaps it was dropped).

• 1 Open Loop Level 2 (350 points)

I think I'd be happy with a link in Mail that simply opens up the images in the import dialog. I can take it from there.