Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Setting up bt home hub with airport extreme and timecapsule

Hi I am running BT Broadband direct into a BT Home Hub (Black version) then ethernet into an airport extreme.

Timecapsule then extending the apple network and an iMac ethernet into the timecapsule

Various other macbooks, iPhones,iPads, iPods and apple tv wirelessly linked in. (and an hp multifunction printer)

The network seems very slow and unstable - any suggestions on how to tune it?

Thanks

Nigel

Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Jan 2, 2012 1:13 PM

6 replies

Jan 2, 2012 1:55 PM in response to nigelwelwyn

Introducing wireless repeater or bridge causes double hopping wireless. It greatly reduces speed and efficiency of wireless. I am not 100% sure I understand your arrangement. But there are limited wireless channels and the result of many wireless devices fighting each other is bad.

1. Do you have wireless turned off in the Home Hub? Please do unless it is providing important connections.

2. What mode is the AEBS running in? Because with BT you must use the home hub as a router, you should have the AEBS bridged. Is that the case?

3. Wireless extending networking adds issues as stated. Get rid of this. The best method is to link the TC and AEBS by alternative.. ie ethernet is the best by huge margin. If you cannot do this in your house then use EOP adapters. They are not foolproof but if they work, they keep working with reliability and stabilty and speed that wireless cannot match. You can then run the AEBS and TC as roaming WAP, by using different channels but same SSID (wireless name), and security settings and passwords.

Jan 2, 2012 2:08 PM in response to LaPastenague

Hi thanks for replying. Problem is we have a long house with lots of walls in it and the bt home hub 3 where the ADSL connection is, is a long way from the kitchen. I connected an Airport Extreme to the home hub by ethernet and set that up to create a wireless network. The TC then woirelessly connects to that network hopefully to extend the range of the apple network - it also ethernets directly ito the back of my main machine an iMac. I havent switched the BTHH wireless off - are you saying that I should? The plan was to use the apple network for everything

Jan 2, 2012 3:16 PM in response to nigelwelwyn

If you are using the Apple wireless only the wireless in the BTHH will do nothing more than interfere. So you might as well turn it off.

EOP work well over any distance as long as it is the circuit. They are actually more popular I have heard in the UK than just about anywhere.

But expect slow over repeated wireless.. just to explain, any repeated wireless must send the packet twice. Once to the intermediate device and again from intermediate device to the main router.. the resulting ack packet has to travel the same way. This actually more than halves the speed of wireless connections. The two devices can then have extra issues dealing with local clients plus remote clients. Wireless is shared environment.. unfortunately on a single channel you have no separate wireless link from local link, so everything stops while one client on the other end uses the connection.

Jan 5, 2012 5:43 AM in response to LaPastenague

Hi

I have hub crashing issues (rather than range problems) with BT Homehub and have ordered Airport extreme base station. I had thought you could use extreme to delete/replace homehub entirely. is that right, and if so how do you do it?

The alternative might be to use LAN2 on the modem for the extreme and leave the homehub on LAN2 but that doesn't seem to make much sense.

Can you help? Sorry if questions are a little vague but I am not very computer literate.

Setting up bt home hub with airport extreme and timecapsule

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.