Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iPad locks itself at random times

it can be at any given moment..close an app it might lock... click on a link it might lock

iPad 2, iOS 5.0.1

Posted on Jan 2, 2012 4:08 PM

12 replies

Jan 2, 2012 4:15 PM in response to samfromleigh

Try these basic troubleshooting steps and see if any of them help.

Restart the iPad by holding down on the sleep button until the red slider appears and then slide to shut off. To power up hold the sleep button until the Apple logo appears and let go of the button.

Reset the iPad by holding down on the sleep and home buttons at the same time for about 10-15 seconds until the Apple Logo appears - ignore the red slider - let go of the buttons.

Apr 3, 2012 3:32 AM in response to samfromleigh

Do you have a cover for your ipad? if so, it might be because of that. I used to have the same problem as i had no idea about the smart-cover feature: when you close the cover or fold it onto the other side the ipad automatically locks. Its meant to be an useful feature but i resulted in turning it off. You can do this somewhere in settings, probably in general->accessability. If its not in there, try looking somewhere else.

hope this helps 😀

Apr 3, 2012 4:10 AM in response to yutafromlondon

Yes I do and it does have that feature. At first I thought it was that and turned the auto lock feature off, the problem continued. Then I thought it maybe something to do with extra strong magnets in the cover effecting the screen in someway (Don't ask me why it's just how my mind works!) so I removed it completely from the case but again the same problem.

I'll mention this in the hope that this in the hope I find a solution and this thread is of some use to someone in the future. I've just noticed that it isn't in fact locking randomly. The screen goes black but there is still some backlight noticable. I press the power button once and the screen fully turns off then I press the home button and the lock screen appears.

What is in fact happening is the screen keeps cutting out, when playing a game or watching a video you can still hear the video but see nothing. I'm guessing this is a hardware fault that will need repairing, will report back later...

Nov 28, 2013 9:43 PM in response to Empty_1

My problem is almost the same except that mine it turns pages by itself, types to messages by itself, closes and opens pages by itself. I sometimes am thinking there's another hand that uses my iPad, it's scary!

There are times that I am not able to type from my iPad, it keeps randomly typing by itself, I get scared and I close my iPad.

I hope and wish that Apple perhaps could give us an update for our "devilish" iPad but we love so much!

My iPad locks itself at random times

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.