Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can they take my money?

I just checked my bank account to discover that in that last 2 days I have been charged $235 worth of apps. This is a little weird to me as I currently do not own any apple products. My account passwords were changed and the last device I had was completetly wiped. Has anyone else had this happen to them?

I have listed a report with Apple support and also called my bank to report it as fraudulent.

Mac OS X (10.6.6)

Posted on Jan 2, 2012 5:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 2, 2012 5:25 PM

Sounds like you've done the right things. Apple will take care of the problem but it is likely that your account will be disabled after this.

You should be able to open a new account with a new billing method if you wish.

6 replies

Jan 2, 2012 5:31 PM in response to sdtheman

Merchants *should* use correct networking protections/encryptions when processing transactions. Some do not and you pay the price (literally!).

Sone cards have RFID chips (small "can be detected and automatically processed" chips) in your cards. Some can pick up those RFID data without your knowledge simply by walking close to you.

Or the "disk erase" was not complete.

If you are getting the impression that more than iTunes is a source of identify theft, you should be.

Pull a credit report immediately online, and you may need to "freeze" your credit (your SSN and identity will be locked and can only be unlocked using a password you set ... so DO NOT LOSE THAT PASSWORD ... the credit bureaus take "credit freeze" seriously.

Certainly you need to close your existing credit card (possibly ALL credit cards) and get new numbers.

Others think I may be overreacting ... I think that at least some of my advice is warranted.

How can they take my money?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.