Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can address book be used to select phone numbers to send sms messages in iChat?

I would like to use Address Book to select contacts to send SMS from my macbook pro using iChat...Is this possible?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Jan 2, 2012 5:12 PM

5 replies

Jan 3, 2012 1:14 PM in response to charlesfromowensboro

Hi,

You can put United State phone numbers in the Buddy list as a Screen Name.

Ideally the person needs to be on a service that take advantage of the AIM SMS forwarding.

You have to add the leading +1 to the number

See here for more

If you are doing it via the Address Book you have to add as if it were an AIM name

User uploaded file
9:13 PM Tuesday; January 3, 2012

Please, if posting Logs, do not post any Log info after the line "Binary Images for iChat"

 iMac 2.5Ghz 5i 2011 (Lion 10.7.2)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
"Limit the Logs to the Bits above Binary Images."  No, Seriously

Jan 24, 2012 4:09 PM in response to Ralph-Johns-UK

Ralph,

(1) Do I have to have an AIM account to send SMS messages to the people in my Address Book?

(2) Will it charge the recipients who do not have iChat?

(3) In short this is what I am looking to do via iChat:

-Add a Contact from my Address Book

-Click on their name

-Type and send a message

-The contact recieve the message as an SMS on their phone

(4) Basically I just want to be able to text the people in my address book as if I were using my phone, except do so through iChat.

Thanks for your help in advance

Jan 24, 2012 4:48 PM in response to rry4

I figured out everything I asked above. Still have a question though. I cannot stay connected to AIM [or me.com account] for more than a few minutes at most. Is there a setting I need to change to keep this from happening? I am on a WI-FI connection at my university, and I figure it has something to do with the server constantly changing the IP address but I am not super familar with the processes of how those type of systems work in conjunction with my laptop and connectivity abilities.

Jan 25, 2012 12:01 PM in response to rry4

Hi,

If you are on a Wifi network and keep losing contact with it and getting different IPs when you reconnect I would talk to the IT department.

With a Domestic router when you are given an IP your are given it for a specific length of time (Lease Time).

On most this is 24 hours. As long as your computer reconnects within the 24 hours it keeps the same IP.

The Network you are using may have so many people joining and leaving that lease times as such may be nonexistent.

User uploaded file
8:01 PM Wednesday; January 25, 2012

Please, if posting Logs, do not post any Log info after the line "Binary Images for iChat"

 iMac 2.5Ghz 5i 2011 (Lion 10.7.2)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
"Limit the Logs to the Bits above Binary Images."  No, Seriously

Can address book be used to select phone numbers to send sms messages in iChat?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.