Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

what is the replacement product for iWeb?

I am a current user of iWeb. I understand that iWeb is no longer an application suite. Could any recommend a product that provide a standard template as iWeb?

I really prefer an product that I can easily migrate my iWeb page into without major rework.

Thank you.

iWeb '08, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Jan 2, 2012 6:14 PM

32 replies

Jan 3, 2012 1:20 AM in response to gordonfromfairfield

iWeb 09 is still part of the boxed set of iLife 11 and is still available. It is an application and will continue to work on your Mac with Snow Leopard and Lion so you can continue to use it to maintain your sites and there is no need to change at all.

If you want to look at other programmes there is RapidWeaver, Sandvox or Flux 3. However, RapidWeaver and Sandvox have no import facility so if you use either of these, you'll have to re-build yoru stie from scratch.

Flux 3 can open your existing site, but it is a steeper learning curve than either of the others.

You can stick with iWeb for the time being though. There is no rush to change as it will still work.

Aug 7, 2015 3:48 PM in response to Bopokshelf

I hate to tell you that MobileMe has not existed for a long time now and was replaced with iCloud and iCloud does not support web hosting which is one of the reasons that Apple stopped supporting iWeb.

iDVD is also long gone and ditched before iWeb was, so with that information in mind, you need to move on and find some alternative software that you like, of which there are many for you to look at.

Aug 7, 2015 5:24 PM in response to gordonfromfairfield

<sigh> That was a joke-

I’m aware of the substitutes. They’re really not on par with what Apple could put out.

We’d like to teach new folks how to build their own webpage.(Preferable using Apple software.)

Unfortunately even the local apple users group web page is now being built with 3rd part software.

Maybe if we include clippy dancing across each page

some one at Cupertino will stick a fork in their wallet

and put out new software.

Aug 8, 2015 12:00 AM in response to Bopokshelf

That really is not going to happen. Apple is NOT a software company in that sense of the word, where they can spend all their time developing software and just software - they have other things to think about, which is why after MobileMe was ditched that provided the hosting, iWeb was no longer sold or supported.

Rage Software is purely a software development company, which is why they were able to produce EverWeb, a very credible alternative to iWeb.

Apple updating iWeb or doing anything more in this respect is highly unlikely, so I would just move on and find something else that you like.

Aug 9, 2015 12:50 AM in response to Bopokshelf

Yes and Steve Jobs is no longer here, so Tim Cook will take the company in the direction which he thinks it needs to go.

Apple is about user experience, but in this instance with Macs, iPods, iPhone etc., and not forgetting iTunes and music streaming and this is the direction that Time Cooke seems to be taking the company in at the moment - the hardware and music and iCloud and not software development.

Apple has never really been into software development and only produced iWeb in the first place because of firstly .Mac, followed by MobileMe. Once they ditched MobileMe which was Apple's hosting service, they had no need of iWeb any longer, which is why they ditched it. I think they probably realised that there were other companies out there that provided better web hosting at a cheaper price and there were also better web development products out there by other companies than iWeb was, which is why they decided to cut their losses and concentrate on what they are best at, which is producing good looking hardware products, such as the computers, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc.

As far as iWeb is concerned, iWeb 09 has not been updated for 6 years now, so this must be telling you something?

I would forget about iWeb and move on because it is not coming back. Apple are now into different things than when iWeb was first introduced.

Time to move on.

Aug 9, 2015 9:18 AM in response to Bopokshelf

That is true, there is still not any official Apple iWeb replace. That is very sad.

BUT the GOOD NEWS IS: A good artist doesn't need the latest "trendy" pincel to do good Art.

I am not assuming you are an artist, but this is a good metaphor to anyone who does Webdesign. If you understand the basics and principles of good design, you can do good web design with iWeb. And with iWeb using "Html Snippets" you can do so many features that today are "trending"!
I can share you in private message some websites I do as Graphic designer, and I believe there are good organised, modern, clean and intuitive.

A good example I like is http://www.vignelli.com/ (not made by me). For example http://www.apple.com the layout design could be made on iWeb. Yes of course there are some things like optimised for smartphones and tablets I think is not possible to do with iWeb, only if you edit the code manually after do it on iWeb. But the truth is that the code you can always edit it after create the layout design on iWeb!

I personal believe that to many design softwares today have a pure marketing intention ($), different from Apple on early days. The purity and intuitiveness from Apple I don't see that at any company. Yes, Apple had to make money, had to promote and Marketing their own products, but the intention had dignity. Different from too many companies today.

I still use iWeb and I am very productive with amazing software.

Aug 13, 2015 7:47 PM in response to gordonfromfairfield

This might be a bit of a tangent but everyone assumes that the apple TV will be strictly for consumption.

I could see it being used for content creation. All your "stuff" is on a apple devices anyway.

With a good software (a step up from iWeb) you could just drag items to the screen.

Then create a site on the fly. A TV make for a nice big work space.

I think the underlying software is already in place.

Hummmm

what is the replacement product for iWeb?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.