Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AirPlay mirroring is broken on 5ghz Wireless band

I got a new, simultaneous dual band N router. When the Appe tv (2gen) is on the 2.4ghz band, AirPlay mirroring works fine no matter which band my iPad 2, but when it is on the 5ghz band it is behind by up to 5 minutes. (I enable it, then see a screenshot on my tv literally five minutes after I disable it) It basically doesn't work. My router is a linksys E2500. Thanks!

iPad 2, iOS 5.0.1

Posted on Jan 2, 2012 6:55 PM

14 replies

Feb 19, 2012 10:22 AM in response to grinny11

From what I've seen this is a known issue with most Linksys e series devices. It happens when putting both iPad and AppleTV2 on the 5Ghz band.

From what I've been seeing, there is a fix on the way but nothing as of today 2/19/12

http://homecommunity.cisco.com/t5/Wireless-Routers/E4200-with-Airplay-mirroring- hangs/td-p/456851

Your workaround is going to be put one device on 2.4Ghz and one on 5Ghz or both on 2.4. It will work then but is noticibly laggy especially if you have several G devices on your 2.4.

Let's hope this gets fixed soon.

Jul 14, 2012 4:57 PM in response to tjjohnsto

I'm having this same problem with a Cisco E3200 dual band N router. Airplay mirroring will not work on the 5GHz band. Luckily it is working with 2.4Ghz, meaning that at least Airplay mirroring isn't completely broken.

Sorry, if I'm overlooking something but I'm not following one of your workarounds, specifically the part about having one device on 2.4GHz and the other on 5GHz. It is my understanding that the devices have to be on the same wireless network.....or is that incorrect on my part? My setup is that I have two wireless networks created; one is 2.4GHz, the other 5GHz. My experience is that when trying to do mirroring with the devices on different networks there is no chance at all at connecting, so in other words you can't even expect to get to the condition where 5GHz will fail. OR is my understanding of this being clouded by the issue with 5GHz?

I see the link to the Cisco site discussion area has a potential fix with regards to a tweak to the router; I may give that a try later and then try to see if I can get 5Ghz to work.

Jul 14, 2012 5:15 PM in response to Jon Rossen

My understanding is that there is an issue in the way Cisco designed WMM and QoS on these routers. Wi-Fi Multimedia (WMM) is a wireless Quality of Service feature that improves quality for audio, video, and voice applications by prioritizing wireless traffic.

If you turn of WMM on these routers the 5GHz band stops working completely. 5GHz needs this to operate correctly. I believe this is where the issue comes into play. Something goes terribly wrong when both the iPad and Apple TV are on the 5GHz band and WMM screws something up with traffic passing between the devices.

So the work around I currently use is:

iPad (ver 1 and 2) on 2.4GHz

Apple TV on 5GHz

Everything works as expected with this implementation. Also, I have noticed that it is not only Airplay Mirroring that is affected, but everything when you are sending Pandora, Youtube, etc to the apple tv with both devices on 5GHz.

Let me know if that helps, I would also encourage you to read the forum comments as some others have work arounds that may help you as well. I have an E2500 and the same issue exists but the work around others used does not exist for my model. It may on yours.

http://homecommunity.cisco.com/t5/Wireless-Routers/E4200-with-Airplay-mirroring- hangs/td-p/456851

Aug 12, 2012 1:53 PM in response to DanielCeleste

Macbook Air 2011 (4,1), MountainLion,

I have Linksys E2500 dual band and the Apple TV 3rd gen at an apartment and have the same problem; all on 5GHz does not work. Had Atv on 5GHz and had to put Macbook Air on 2.4 and all is well. I ended up using a cable since the Apple TV is colocated with the router so no real issue here until it is solved.

Also, before I went with the cable my iPad2 worked fine with mirroring with all devices on 5GHz band.

However, an interesting point, at home I have an Linksys E3000 dual band and the second gen AppleTV and I can mirror just fine with everything on the 5GHz band.

So does this mean it is the Atv gen 3 problem?

Nov 29, 2012 11:07 PM in response to DanielCeleste

This is not an ATV problem as far as I can tell. It is, as previously mentioned, a Cisco firmware / QoS configuration problem. In the link provided above, Cisco released an update for the E4200 (see post by tinkererguy: http://homecommunity.cisco.com/t5/Wireless-Routers/E4200-with-Airplay-mirroring- hangs/td-p/456851/page/9 ) to address this.

I am stuck with an E2500 right now and there's no fix, so I'm waiting to see if someone responds to me in that thread. Otherwise I'm sending this E2500 straight back whence it was conceived (it's a factory refurb).

Dec 24, 2012 5:19 PM in response to DanielCeleste

I have the exact same issue with my 2012 Mac mini and 2012 time capsule (2012 Apple TV). I have everything set to 2.4ghz and works perfectly. Every when I try to use 5ghz I have intermittent issues with AirPlay from Mac mini showing only video but no sound and the only way to fix is to restart Mac mini or router. No issue with iPhone mirroring on either 2.4ghz or 5ghz.

Aug 31, 2013 7:44 PM in response to SylHan

My problem: Airplay mirroring from MacBook Pro to Apple TV via Linsys (Cisco) E2500 dual band router, got a black screen on the TV.

Disabling WMM on my router solved this for me right away. Thanks so much for the suggestion.

My steps:

- Go to the router's admin UI (192.168.1.1 in a browser by default)

- Applications & Gaming > QoS

- set "WMM Support" to "Disabled" (enabled by default)

- reboot router

Worked like a charm. Mirroring is faster than ever now.

AirPlay mirroring is broken on 5ghz Wireless band

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.