Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Transfer files between Macintosh Plus and Mac OS X

I recently bought myself a beatiful Mac Plus. Now I'd like to put some classic software to the guy, and why not, even some games. Start doing little work with the Plus.

So, what are the options here? How can I bridge the Macintosh Plus and my Lion-equipped iMac? Yes, that's pretty hard. My findings where posts about Ethernet-LocalTalk bridge hardware, Serial-to-USB adapters in order to perform a serial connection with Terminal and even getting a ZIP drive. And the most popular finding: A bridge Mac like a PowerBook G3 (Serial port + Ethernet connection).

Where can I start? I'd like to listen your experiences.

Tino.

Macintosh Plus-OTHER, Mac OS 8.6 or Earlier

Posted on Jan 2, 2012 9:37 PM

2 replies

Jan 3, 2012 8:30 PM in response to curicotino

The first thing you need to do to play with any older - 1980's Mac is to use the external SCSI port. Find an external SCSI hard drive or Zip drive. Do not spend too much on the Zip drive in case it suffers from the 'click of death.' That is a technical term. Just get a return guarantee if you spend more than two bucks on the Zip drive.

You can make an external hard drive bay out of a CD-ROM case by pulling the optical drive out and replacing it with a hard drive. We never put the covers back on because they just slow us down while testing drives.

You will need to learn about SCSI ID assignments.

Once you have external SCSI options, you can take files to a bridge machine. A platinum G3 desktop makes a good transition machine, especially if it has a USB card.

The next thing to worry about is changing file structures. OS X will show a file as a generic executable file if it does not know what to do with it. Better to leave old files compressed with Stuffit until you get it to the Plus. Otherwise, OS X will tamper with it. There are smarter guys on that subject than me. I have the luxury of having several bridge machines so I have not had to learn the technical software/file structure side of what happens. I just know it happens and I change machines to get around the file corruption.

Good luck and have fun.

Ji~m

Transfer files between Macintosh Plus and Mac OS X

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.