Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

buying remote desktop

In the Appstore it says the download is $79. At the Apple Store online the boxed version is $299. What is the difference? Both say they are Apple Remote Desktop.

Posted on Jan 2, 2012 11:13 PM

6 replies

Mar 17, 2012 5:31 PM in response to nevets2

Steven Weinberg wrote:

I'm visiting my mom. I often need to help her with her mac. I live 100 miles away.

If I buy Apple Remote Desktop now while I'm visiting her and install it on her iMac, what do I do when I get home to download it to my MacBook Pro computer and install it there?

If To use ARD over the internet will most likely require you to configure your mom router to allow you to remotely connect to her computer. You'll also probable want to setup a subscription service like DYNdns to you can consitently find the correct IP address to connect to your moms computer.

OR you could use a program like iChat with screen sharing & voice chat (requires both of you to be on a recent mac, and your mom has to be there to allow you to conenct to her computer, and some times requires firewall configuration)

OR use a program like LogMeIn witch dosen't require you to configure your moms firewall and dosen't require a serivce like DYNdns. The regular vertion is free to use; the pro verion supports sound. Your mom dosen't have to be there to allow you to connect; but it dose require the computer to be on.

buying remote desktop

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.