Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Quicktime pro

I purchased quicktime pro from the apple store, I have quicktime 7. I put in the registration code but I don't have quicktime pro. I don't have the quicktime icon in system preferences either.

Operating system is Lion.

Thanks so much

mobile me -OTHER

Posted on Jan 3, 2012 3:27 AM

14 replies

Jan 3, 2012 5:11 AM in response to julie127

quicktime 7 is in utilities, but no quicktime pro.

The application does not change its name after the registration information is entered, The "Pro" key merely unlocks features already built into the QT 7 Player app but which are not accessible without the "Pro" key. If you can now export/convert files or access the "Properties" window to may changes at the track level, then you are operating in the "Pro" mode. If not really in the "Pro" mode, the FOLLOW THESE INSTRUCTIONS.

User uploaded file

Jan 12, 2012 8:47 PM in response to julie127

I just bought quicktime pro 7 for MAC.

My OD system is Snow Leppard 10.6.8

I downloaded quicktime 7.

I rebooted my MAC PRO.

I received confirmation email with the Reg code attached to the receipt for quicktime pro 7.

I launched quicktime pro 7.

I clicked on the Registration drop down menu.

I entered my name, company, and pasted the Reg Code in the appropriate box.

The button at the bottom right side of the Registration box says "BUY QUICKTIME PRO..."

I dont get it, I just bought it.

How do I reg this product to activate the PRO features that I just bought?

Thanks

Jan 13, 2012 4:19 AM in response to delwynb

I just bought quicktime pro 7 for MAC.

My OD system is Snow Leppard 10.6.8

I downloaded quicktime 7.

I rebooted my MAC PRO.

I received confirmation email with the Reg code attached to the receipt for quicktime pro 7.

I launched quicktime pro 7.

I clicked on the Registration drop down menu.

I entered my name, company, and pasted the Reg Code in the appropriate box.

The button at the bottom right side of the Registration box says "BUY QUICKTIME PRO..."

You either did not read the instructions in the link posted above or failed to pay attention to step number 4 in the "Additional Information" section. It specifically states you must press the "Tab" key to complete the key registration process. (I.e., pressing the "Return" key activates the "Buy" message.)

User uploaded file

Jan 13, 2012 5:56 AM in response to Jon Walker

I am having similar problems. Using OS X Lion 10.7.2 cannot play avi files that use the motion jpeg codec. Paid for QT pro 7 and bought the mpeg2 component this morning. Can't install the mpeg2 component message says this component was intended for earlier version of mac OS. System requirements on apple store page said 10.4 or higher. not sure what to to. Any suggestions?

Jan 13, 2012 8:58 AM in response to mcdanli

Can't install the mpeg2 component message says this component was intended for earlier version of mac OS. System requirements on apple store page said 10.4 or higher. not sure what to to. Any suggestions?

To install the QT MPEG-2 Playback component for use with QT 7 Player or MPEG Streamclip apps, you can...

1) Use the installer on a Snow Leopard, Leopard, or earlier OS platform and then move the component to you Lion system,

2) Download the MPEG Streamclip beta package and use the included utility to help install the Apple installer package on the Lion platform, or

3) Use an app like Pacifist to extract/install the component directly on your Lion platform.

User uploaded file

Oct 10, 2012 4:50 PM in response to delwynb

The same thing is happening to me. I purchased the QuickTime 7 Pro code, but when I enter it, the message is that the code is invalid and I'm directed to purchase the Pro code again. I hope sombody has the answer for us. Using the tab key instead of the return makes no difference. It still says the code is invalid.

Message was edited by: ArtWestPress

Feb 14, 2013 4:35 AM in response to jabsongs

I'm also having a similar issues - had QT7 running fine on my macbook with the registration code. Got a new macbook pro, moved QT7 over, and now the registration code doesn't work. Any ideas?

Requirements:

1) Registration key series must match the installed version of the "classic: QT Player.

(Ex. You can't use a QT 6 registration key on an installed version of the QT 7 player.)

2) Registration key must be for the correct platform.

(Ex. You can't use a Windows QT 7 registration key on a Mac platform.)

3) Registration key must be entered exactly as given in you confirmation message.

(To avoid typographical errors, most user "copy" the key to the registration window.)

4) User name must exactly match the name used to purchase the key at the Apple Store.

(This includes any salutation or suffix used like Mr., Dr., Prof., Sr., Jr., etc.)

User uploaded file

Oct 11, 2013 3:05 AM in response to Jon Walker

Jon Walker,

I followed the instructions you and apple provided, and I now have Quicktime Pro (I hit the tab button and my logo changed to QTPro). However, I think like many people here, I haven't seen any difference between the old program and the new. When I go to Utilities to look for QT Pro, I only see QT7. When I open QT7, I don't see any new feautures or anything that tells me I now have Pro. When I go to open an MPG file (the reason I bought Pro), it says it's not a video file and won't open. The only thing I am sure about with QTPro is that it cost me $32.

What am I missing?

Oct 11, 2013 6:56 AM in response to Tommyjamg

However, I think like many people here, I haven't seen any difference between the old program and the new. When I go to Utilities to look for QT Pro, I only see QT7.

Think of it as working something like a car. If you have the correct key, you can unlock the car, get in, start the engine, and dricve it around. But whether the car is sitting in your driveway or being driven across country, the name of the car doesn't change.

When I open QT7, I don't see any new feautures or anything that tells me I now have Pro.

As with the car analogy above, the unlocked and open car does not drive anyplace on its own without a driver behind the wheel. Did you have a file loaded at the time you where looking for the availability of "pro" features? QT 7 Pro, lake most software applications, is "context adaptive." This means that the features and menu options may vary depending on whether or not you have a file loaded and whether or not the file is playback compatible, conversion compatible, or edit compatible with your system's current codec component configuration. (I.e., your car will not run without fuel and the fuel must be compatible with the type of engine installed in your car.)

When I go to open an MPG file (the reason I bought Pro), it says it's not a video file and won't open. The only thing I am sure about with QTPro is that it cost me $32.

What am I missing?

Like many users, it would appear that you did not fully read and comprehend the product description before buying the QT 7 Pro key. Keying the QT 7 Player for "pro" use unlocks access to editing features already embedded in your Mac OS X QT structure. IT DOES NOT INSTALL ANY NEW CODECS! This means that files that won't pay in the free QT 7 Player will continue to not play when the player is keyed for "pro" use.

If you read ARTICLE HT3775, you can see what media formats (file, audio and video types) are supported natively by the various current operating systems. Further, if you read ARTICLE HT3526, you will find an abbreviated list of additional third-party media formats and the codecs required to support them.

MPG is a file type and may be used with different audio/video compression formats. For instance, on a Mac it is commonly associated with "muxed" MPEG-1 audio and video formats but may also contain a combination of "muxed" MPEG-1, MPEG-2, or MPEG-4 AVC video with MPEG-1, AC3, PCM, or I believe DTS audio. And, while QT 7 natively supports MPEG-1 video, it does not natively support MPEG-2 video whether in a multiplexed, elementary, or transport data stream. (I.e., you need the QT MPEG-2 Playback Component installed for QT 7 to support MPEG-2 video content.) In addition, since "muxed" file formats are based on spatial synchronization technology (blocks of video data interspersed with blocks of audio data in a single data stream) and QT is based on the use of multiple tracks of data synchronized temporally, "muxed" file formats are, at best, only "playback" compatible with QT 7 Pro editing features. (I.e., QT 7 Pro cannot convert nor edit these "muxed" formats properly if that was your original goal in purchasing a "pro" key.)

Basicly, had you posted to this forum regarding how to support MPEG-2 MPG files, you would have quick learned that the normal approach is to download the free MPEG Streamclip app as an alternative to purchasing a QT 7 Pro key and spend about $20 for the QT MPEG-2 Playback component. This combination provides playback, demuxing, conversion, and editing support for MPEG-2 MPG files. And/or if you prefer to do your editing in QT 7 Pro, you could simply demux the MPEG-2 content to elementary M2V and AIFF file streams that can be editied/composited by QT 7 Pro.

Another approach would be to convert your MPG file to MP4 or M4V files that would then be fully compatible with QT 7 and/or QT 7 Pro without need of additional codec support. I normally prefer HandBrake here since it supports use of the open X264 codec which sports many features that allow you to customize your encoding strategy for QT H.264 use. (E.g., I like to create anamorphic encodes of MPEG/VOB files that include both AAC and AC3 DD5.1 audio and chapter tracks (if source data available) for TV playback compatibility.

In short, there are numerous possibilities for the handling of "muxed" MPEG-2 MPG content depending on your specific goals. Some are free and others require the purchased of add-on components and/or editing keys. I personally consider purchasing a QT 7 Pro key a good moved for any user that contemplates editing files at the track level without having to purchase a full editing application costing hundreds to thousands of dollars. QT 7 Pro is a wise investment for those who know how to properly use it and want to save money making quick, manual edits not requiring specialized routines to be built into the editing app itself.

User uploaded file

Quicktime pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.