Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trouble conforming PAL-(XDCAM EX 50fps) to 25fps in Cinema Tools

Sorry, new to the forums and not sure if this was posted in the correct place...

FCP 7

Macbook Pro 13"

Intel Duo Core 2.4 ghz with 4GB RAM

I shot some commercial stuff for a European client in PAL 1280x720 @50fps on a 7D and was told the best workflow was to xcode that footage into XDCAM EX 1280x720 50 (35mbps) THEN conform. However, I can't seem to conform the XDCAM EX 50fps clips to 25fps in Cinema Tools. I am still learning about alternate video formats and typically have a set workflow. I consulted a fellow of mine who has a lot of foreign clients and he did advise that conforming PAL to XDCAM EX is the best way to conserve quality and hard disk space through the edit process. Is this true? Am I missing a preference or setting in Cinema Tools? Do the files need to be Pro Res in order to be conformed? HALP!

The client is looking for some time remapping so I was hoping to do some progressive ramps in After Effects once I got everything to 25fps. Is there anything I need to know regarding output or rendering?

Any advice is appreciated, I didn't go to school for video so don't hate!

Cheers

Michael

Cinema Tools, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jan 3, 2012 9:47 AM

11 replies

Jan 3, 2012 10:29 AM in response to michaelhurleyvideo

>I shot some commercial stuff for a European client in PAL 1280x720 @50fps on a 7D and was told the best workflow was to xcode that footage into XDCAM EX 1280x720 50 (35mbps) THEN conform.

You were misinformed. Cinema Tools will not conform GOP formats...and XDCAM is a GOP format (as is HDV). And XDCAM is not the best format to convert to. ProRes is the standard...and that is what you should be converting to. That Cinema Tools can conform. But it will take up more hard drive space. That's because it isn't crazy compressed like XDCAM...and it's the crazy XDCAM compression that is making Cinema TOols not work.

Jan 3, 2012 10:41 AM in response to Shane Ross

Awesome, thanks for the reply!

Hmm, what do you think is best? In the essence of time, could I just xcode the original PAL 50fps 720 clips to pro res, conform to 25fps and work them into the XDCAM project sequence I've already started? Or will that create serious workflow issues for me? I don't have time to go back and re-xcode every clip (almost 100 GBs) to Pro Res before I show the client a rough edit.

Also, if it is better to just take the hit on time and re-xcode every clip to Pro Res, would I be able to easily reconnect all media to the newly coded ProRes files? Or would I lose all that work in the sequence?

Thanks again for the info!

Trouble conforming PAL-(XDCAM EX 50fps) to 25fps in Cinema Tools

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.