Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine Causing Open Apps to Choke?

Have been using Time Machine for over a year with minimal problems. More recently, however, I'm noticing that often my open applications aren't responding and sometimes must force-quit them ... almost always Time Machine is doing its thing when this occurs.

If I see that TM is active, I sometimes will use the pulldown menu to stop the process. Even if it says, for example, "Backing up 260K of 8.6Mb" it takes at least 5 go 6 minutes for the backup process to cease. There have been times when I've walked away from the computer and returned 20 minutes later to see that it's still "stopping back up."

Also having more diffulty with accessing anything on my wireless network (mail, internet, printer) when TM is engaged in its backup.

All of this makes me wonder if I'm seeing corrupt files or faulty hardware ....

Any ideas?

Mac Pro Xeon 64-bit Workstation, Mac OS X (10.6.6), 16 GB 1333 MHz DDR3

Posted on Jan 3, 2012 12:12 PM

21 replies

Jan 3, 2012 2:03 PM in response to Lexiepex

Disk Doctor doesn't seem to recognize my Time Capsule as a mounted disk.

In fact, the disk usually shows up as an active networked item when Time Machine is doing its backup.

At other times, the disk shows up on the network via Finder. Just not via DD.

-------Added Information----

Time Machine just kicked in so I opened DD and the Time Capsule DOES now show up as a verifiable/repairable disk.

However - do I dare invoke that command when Time Machine is preparing its backup or actually performing its backup?

Message was edited by: Katie 'OConnell

Jan 3, 2012 3:24 PM in response to KatieOConnell

Katie 'OConnell wrote:

. . .

I'm noticing that often my open applications aren't responding and sometimes must force-quit them ... almost always Time Machine is doing its thing when this occurs.

It's possible Time Machine is having a problem, but it's also possible there's something else going on that's causing everything to slow down.

If a backup won't cancel for a while, see #D6 in Time Machine - Troubleshooting.

If the backups seem slow, try the things in the green box of #D2 there.

I'm not familiar with Disk Doctor, but Disk Utility should be fine to verify your internal HD. To Repair your backups, see #A5 in the above link. It's best to do that while connected via Ethernet cable if at all possible -- it will take a while either way, but 2-3 times faster than wirelessly. Turn TM OFF when you do that.

If that doesn't solve it, we'll have to look at other things.

Jan 11, 2012 1:05 PM in response to Pondini

So I took TM off of automatic backups via TM prefs but it apparently didn't "get the message" since it kept kicking in every hour.

Repaired prefs and rebooted the Time Capsule and it FINALLY stayed quiet.

I selected the "manual backup now" option this morning and it completely that flawlessly.

NOW it seems to think I want it to do automatic hourly backups again.

It's like the creature that won't die in a horror movie. What's up with this thing?

p.s. I took it off auto backups simply to see if it improved my system's performance. So far, YES!

Jan 11, 2012 1:27 PM in response to KatieOConnell

Katie \'OConnell wrote:

. . .

NOW it seems to think I want it to do automatic hourly backups again.

It's like the creature that won't die in a horror movie. What's up with this thing?

You may have to do a "full reset", per #A4 in Time Machine - Troubleshooting.

p.s. I took it off auto backups simply to see if it improved my system's performance. So far, YES!

You shouldn't have to do that. Hourly backups shouldn't behave that way. It sounds like something else is wrong.

Have you ever used a 3rd-party app, or followed instructions to manually edit some "plists," to alter TM's default behavior? That might explain some of this.

If not, a clue may be lurking in your logs. Use the widget in #A1 of Time Machine - Troubleshooting to display the backup messages from your logs. Locate one of the backups in question, then copy and post all the messages here.

Jan 11, 2012 6:41 PM in response to KatieOConnell

If it's already installed, you don't need another copy.

See Mac 101: Dashboard for info on using the Dashboard and widgets.

Briefly, press the F4 key on your keyboard (or fn + F12) to open the Dashboard, containing your widgets (some are preinstalled, so there will be several).

Click the "target" icon at the lower left of your screen to see them. Find and click the Time Machine Buddy widget to display it.

Time Machine Causing Open Apps to Choke?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.