Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to do a clean install of lion...

OK after having so many problems after upgrading from snow leopard to lion, which I downloaded through the app store, with my Mac not booting up, stuck on white screen. I decided to use disk utility, and I erased my whole hard drive, with the security check enabled.

Now all I have is a hard copy 'disk' of snow leopard, i do not want to have to reinstall it before i can get lion back,

Is there anyway I can install lion on my completely erased hard drive? And no I haven't made a copy of it to a disk or anything. So I would appreciate any help PLEASE.

Apple IMac 2010, Mac OS X (10.7), Apple iOS 4.3

Posted on Jan 3, 2012 3:46 PM

4 replies

Jan 3, 2012 3:49 PM in response to Owenuk

Having erased the drive you haven't much choice:

How to Install Lion Successfully - You must have Snow Leopard 10.6.7 or 10.6.8 Installed

A. Repair the Hard Drive and Permissions:

Boot from your Snow Leopard Installer disc. After the installer loads select your language and click on the Continue button. Then select Disk Utility from the Utilities. After DU loads select your hard drive entry (mfgr.'s ID and drive size) from the the left side list. In the DU status area you will see an entry for the S.M.A.R.T. status of the hard drive. If it does not say "Verified" then the hard drive is failing or failed. (SMART status is not reported on external Firewire or USB drives.) If the drive is "Verified" then select your OS X volume from the list on the left (sub-entry below the drive entry,) click on the First Aid tab, then click on the Repair Disk button. If DU reports any errors that have been fixed, then re-run Repair Disk until no errors are reported. If no errors are reported click on the Repair Permissions button. Wait until the operation completes, then quit DU and return to the installer. Now restart normally.

If DU reports errors it cannot fix, then you will need Disk Warrior (4.3.) if DW cannot fix the drive, then you will need to reformat the drive and reinstall Snow Leopard.

B. Make a Bootable Backup Using Restore Option of Disk Utility:

1. Open Disk Utility from the Utilities folder.
  2. Select the destination volume from the left side list.
  3. Click on the Restore tab in the DU main window.
  4. Check the box labeled Erase destination.
  5. Select the destination volume from the left side list and drag it to the Destination entry field.
  6. Select the source volume from the left side list and drag it to the Source entry field.
  7. Double-check you got it right, then click on the Restore button.

Destination means the backup volume. Source means the internal startup volume.

C. Important: Please read before installing:

1. If you have a FireWire hard drive connected, disconnect it before installing the update unless you will boot from this drive and install the update on it. Reconnect it and turn it back on after installation is complete and you've restarted.
  2. You may experience unexpected results if you have installed third-party system software modifications, or if you have modified the operating system through other means. (This does not apply to normal application software installation.)
  3. The installation process should not be interrupted. If a power outage or other interruption occurs during installation, use the standalone installer (see below) from Apple Downloads to update. While the installation is in progress do not use the computer.

D. To upgrade to Lion:

1. Purchase the Lion Installer from the Mac App Store. The download will start quickly. Lion is nearly 4 GBs so a fast internet connection is essential. Download time could run upwards of 4 hours depending upon network conditions and server demands at the time.
  2. Boot From The Lion Installer which is located in your Applications folder.
  3. Follow instructions for installation.

Jan 3, 2012 4:03 PM in response to Kappy

So what your saying there is no work around? I have to reinstall snow leopard, but you see I already done that before as I mentioned, and then I installed lion over snow leopard, and my Mac was terribly unresponsive and then it got so bad it just wouldn't boot, so I had to erase the whole hard drive, is there no way I can connect to the Internet and re download lion instead of having to install snow leopard?

Jan 3, 2012 5:45 PM in response to Owenuk

Owenuk wrote:

So what your saying there is no work around? I have to reinstall snow leopard, but you see I already done that before as I mentioned, and then I installed lion over snow leopard, and my Mac was terribly unresponsive and then it got so bad it just wouldn't boot, so I had to erase the whole hard drive, is there no way I can connect to the Internet and re download lion instead of having to install snow leopard?

In your case the reason for bad Lion performance is probably due to Step A was not done before and after the upgrade or your system wasn't in good shape to begin with. Lion itself is pretty sound so the issue is probably on your side. As a general rule a successful update or upgrade occurs because good preparation was done prior to the installation. I've found the suggestions in these Update Instructions to be pretty good. The system I'm writing this post on is 4+ year old iMac that has successfully updated from Tiger to Leopard to Snow Leopard and now Lion.

Jan 3, 2012 6:02 PM in response to Owenuk

You must start with Snow Leopard because you need to re-download Lion. You cannot do that unless you access the App Store. That requires Snow Leopard.

If you do a clean install of Snow Leopard then upgrade to Lion you should have no problems. Whatever problems you had before are now academic because you've erased the drive.

How to do a clean install of lion...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.