Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

If I do a hard reset what all could I lose?

Help!

iPad, iOS 5.0.1

Posted on Jan 3, 2012 3:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 3, 2012 3:04 PM

If you're talking about holding the Home and Power buttons until the iPad restarts, you shouldn't lose anything. That being said, it's not a given. If the iOS has become corrupted, there is a possibilty your could lose data. Hard to say for sure.

9 replies

Jan 3, 2012 3:08 PM in response to Drew78

To be technically correct, there is no "Hard Reset", there's only a Reset as such... pressing the home and sleep buttons until you see the Apple logo, ignoring the slider. Takes about 5-15 secs of button holding and you won't lose any data or settings.

If you mean Restore, then a Restore will wipe your iPad but you can install your backup afterwards.

Jan 3, 2012 3:08 PM in response to Drew78

If you are talking about the reset as described by JayCampbell38, the chances of losing anything are miniscule but obviously nothing is 100% foolproof. That reset is basically like rebooting your computer -

Have you ever lost anything on your computer when you rebooted? I know that I never have

Jan 3, 2012 3:26 PM in response to Drew78

Wow thanks for all the help. Here is another question to this: The reason i ask this is my iPad first version runs slow and when surfing cuts me off and returns me to the home screen with no warning and if reading an article in a newspaper or si.com for example and I hit back it does not bring me back to where I started but to a few days ago or farther to older versions of that paper or website that I was reading. If you anyone can help with this that would be great also.

If I do a hard reset what all could I lose?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.