Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wi-fi password field length and more...

On both my email accounts and wi-fi, passwords use extended ASCII and are up to 63 characters long.

All devices, from Linus to Windows, as well as, Smart phones to home entertainment accept the passwords and are able to connect and transfer data in an encrypted form, except one... the iPad!

I've search and found nothing pertaining to whether the iPad is limited to standard ASCII. Further, I've searched to no avail attempting to determine if the iPad has a limit to its password fields for email and wi-fi. If truncation is occuring due to a field limit, that would answer why passwords are not matching resulting in an inablility to connect.

1) Does anyone know what the field lenghts are for email:password and wifi:password?

2) Does anyone know if these fields are limited to standard ASCII characters or if they can handle extended ASCII?

3) If you have an answer, where can I obtain such information for the future?

Thank you.

iPad 2, iOS 5.0.1

Posted on Jan 3, 2012 7:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 15, 2012 3:41 PM

After several days testing on-and-off, I have come to some conclusions:

The password field CANNOT handle extended ASCII characters.

Several passwords were tested:

Hexidecial = Passed

Standard ASCII = Passed

Extended ASCII = Failed

With regard to password length:

Maximum tested word length = 63

No testing was done beyond 63 characters.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 15, 2012 3:41 PM in response to Vuelo_Libre

After several days testing on-and-off, I have come to some conclusions:

The password field CANNOT handle extended ASCII characters.

Several passwords were tested:

Hexidecial = Passed

Standard ASCII = Passed

Extended ASCII = Failed

With regard to password length:

Maximum tested word length = 63

No testing was done beyond 63 characters.

Jan 4, 2012 9:10 AM in response to Vuelo_Libre

Here is the math on a 62 character password
62x62x62x62x62x62x62x62x62x62
+
62x62x62x62x62x62x62x62x62x62x62
+
62x62x62x62x62x62x62x62x62x62x62x62
+
62x62x62x62x62x62x62x62x62x62x62x62x62
+
62x62x62x62x62x62x62x62x62x62x62x62x62x62
+
62x62x62x62x62x62x62x62x62x62x62x62x62x62x62

or

62^10 + 62^11 + 62^12 + 62^13 + 62^14 + 62^15

or

a little more than 781 septillion combinations.

At one try per second, it will take you a mere 24 quadrillion years, a mere 1.8 billion times longer than the universe has existed to-date.

A bit of overkill I would say. That is probably whay the Apple Tech reffered you to this forum.

Cheers

Jan 4, 2012 8:52 AM in response to Diavonex

Thank you, Diavonex but the specifications for the several encryption modes is understood and well documented for routers. My question specifically focuses on Apple and how they address the fields that accept the password. In my search, I could not find exact specifications for those fields. What I am looking for is an internal document.

With regards to why I would use such a long password: Brute force algorithms are more common than most people think. The stronger the password, the harder it is to break into someone's system. So that is the reason why I use the maximum allowable field length. It takes just as long to enter a short password as a long one.

I have spoken to Apple Technical Support about this matter and they referred me to this medium for assistance. It seems to me that a programmer at Apple could check the code and read the size of the field and determine if it can handle extended ASCII.

Thank you all for your assistance

Jan 4, 2012 9:48 AM in response to Mobile Blues

Marvelous! Brilliant!, I love it... But I just need one of 781 septillion to be accepted by the iPad.

If my routers can do it, LINUX and (dare I mention) Windows... What's wrong with Apple?

Each person or organization decides what level of protection is fitting. I'm not willing to alter my security scheme because one element serves as a weak link and forces a dummy-down solution.

I find it strange that the Apple Airport can handle 64 characters (1through F) for a password but the iPad seems not!

So it leaves me still wondering if the iPad problem is field length or an extended ASCII problem.

Until I know, iPads cannot be integrate into the system.

Jan 4, 2012 12:05 PM in response to Vuelo_Libre

Here is another piece to the puzzle...

The MacBook Pro has no problem using a 63-64 character (1 through F) password to a AirPorter router. This I just tested.But the iPad 2 cannot hold the same password. It forces you to cancel entry!

This suggest that truncation is occuring. The question is: How many characters are allowed in that field?

(I don't like doing the duties of tech support, especially, when these kinds of answers are part of warrenty.)

Wi-fi password field length and more...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.