Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is it worth getting a macbook now? or wait till Q2

I was thinking of getting the high end macbook pro this week also i bought 8GB of ram to go with it! But is it worth saving my money till Q2 when supposidly the new line of macbooks will be released? I want a macbook that ill hopefully have for quite a while maybe a year or two or even three but i don't want to regret just waiting a little longer! Any thoughts on this would be very helpful as i'm so tempted to get one now! many thanks to all

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Jan 4, 2012 12:39 PM

5 replies

Jan 4, 2012 12:41 PM in response to lewisfrommiltonkeynes

lewisfrommiltonkeynes wrote:

I was thinking of getting the high end macbook pro this week also i bought 8GB of ram to go with it! But is it worth saving my money till Q2 when supposidly the new line of macbooks will be released? I want a macbook that ill hopefully have for quite a while maybe a year or two or even three but i don't want to regret just waiting a little longer! Any thoughts on this would be very helpful as i'm so tempted to get one now! many thanks to all

Whether you buy now or later is a decision for you, there is always a 'better' machine coming, but if you decide to wait you should return the Ram you bought, there is no guarantee that it will work in the next version of the Macbook.

Jan 4, 2012 12:48 PM in response to lewisfrommiltonkeynes

My question is what makes you think that the next MacBook Pro will be released in Q2?

It could be Q3 or Q4. OInce you get sucker in on the waiting game it can go on forever.

Do you need the MBP now? Will it be enough of an improvement over what you have currently so that it will improve your workflow?

It is the answers to those question that you should make your decisions on and not what may be coming soon.

Allan

Jan 4, 2012 1:36 PM in response to lewisfrommiltonkeynes

lewisfrommiltonkeynes wrote:

I was thinking of getting the high end macbook pro this week also i bought 8GB of ram to go with it! But is it worth saving my money till Q2 when supposidly the new line of macbooks will be released? I want a macbook that ill hopefully have for quite a while maybe a year or two or even three

Based on that, you can buy now if you wanted. The reasons:

• You already bought RAM. If new MacBook Pros have a significant CPU upgrade, there is a possibility that the RAM spec would change. But you already bought yours. I guess you could exchange it if the company you bought it from had a nice exchange policy.
  • The current MacBook Pro will definitely be good for two to three years. You won't need a newer model for that.

If you had said you need the most power you can get because of the work you do, or if you had said you want it to last 5 years, then maybe you would wait for the newer model. But based on what you said, the old rule applies here: If there is work you need to do now that your current laptop can't do, you need to buy now, no matter the model. If you can wait, then go ahead and wait.

If I was in your position, I'd look at a refurbished MacBook Pro. Because at least you would save a couple hundred dollars. I just bought a refurbished iPad 2 even though everybody's saying there's going to be a new one in a couple months, because even if there is, they're not going to sell 32GB for $499, I still come out ahead.

Is it worth getting a macbook now? or wait till Q2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.