Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

16gb iphone only has 13.09 gb capacity on itunes?

Hi Everyone, I'm wondering if anyone could help me?

I recently bought a white 16gb iphone 4s, and along with the other problems with battery, and siri being utterly useless within the UK for buisness searches😠 I've recently just discovered that my Iphone has decided that its now a 13gb iPhone.... Now im not great with technology and it may be a very simple solution - I've currently got it in my head that the missing 2.41gb?! is taken up with software?!

When i plug the iphone into iTunes i look at capacity and it says that its 13.59gb

is there a simple soltuion, is it possible that my messages or something else may be taking up this room on my iPhone??

Any helpful response would be greatly aprecicated

thanks

Chloe 🙂

iPhone 4S, iOS 5.0.1

Posted on Jan 4, 2012 3:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 4, 2012 3:54 PM

The 2.41 gbs "missing" on your phone is for the operating system, siri, and other formating files, it has 16gbs of storage, but you can only store content on so much, and still be able to use it as a phone, media player, otherwise you have an expensive usb thumb drive.

42 replies

Mar 6, 2012 10:24 AM in response to Carolyn Samit

regardless that, Apple sold me iPhone 4S with 16GB capacity, while I can only use 13.5GB. That is, 2.5GB I am paying for, but I actually cannot use.

False advertisment dear Apple: iPhone's capacity is misleading people to believe that they have 16GB memory on they device, while they actually don't. (I don't care how much is used by the system as long as iTunes reports me that I ONLY have 13.5GB out of the 16GB I have paid for.)

Message was edited by: 2992

Mar 6, 2012 11:20 AM in response to Dah•veed

I have (re)joind ASC for a real purpose. I'm sorry for losing my previous account (thanks apple for the iCloud/MobileMe accounts fun) so one can see I did helped ansering some of the questions, but... today I have got upset about this storage advertising from vendors, and searching on the web I came to this topic, so I was willing to let other people know they are not alone with this issue.

I shouldn't be marked as a troll when I am complaining about real things, and sorry for offending anyone here. I am complaining about this to all storage vendors, but considering I have most of my products from Apple.. well, it just happen to be Apple's forum when I am complaining this time.

I know things are not going to be "fixed" anytime soon, but if nobody complains about this issue, then this issue will never be fixed. Complaining opens a small chance to change sometimes...

Cheers!

Mar 6, 2012 11:29 AM in response to 2992

I know things are not going to be "fixed" anytime soon

You are correct about that. It won't be fixed because there is nothing to fix. Users have a responsibility to understand the devices and technology that they use.

Besides, what you want is impossible. Every OS takes up storage room, but every current, past and future OS is and will be different size, aside from version choices, updates, different built-in apps, etc. Are you really proposing that vendors list every possible permutation, including those that do not yet exist, in order to give you an accurate number for usable storage?

Vendors advertise installed capacity and that's the capacity you get.

Mar 6, 2012 11:38 AM in response to Rysz

yes, that's a correct statement and I have to agree with it even if I don't like it. And the trend is getting even worse.

(Example: the MBA is now with the latest OSX using a part of the storage space (available before for user) for some hidden partition for the OS. That is not available for user to use it anymore. The solution is simple: put for example 10GB inside a phone, partition/assign 2GB for the OS, and advertise the phone as iPhone with 8GB - which is actually available for end user. This would be a fair ad for the consumer.)

And no, this is having nothing to do with the gigabyte definition.

Mar 6, 2012 11:42 AM in response to 2992

2992 wrote:

I know things are not going to be "fixed" anytime soon, but if nobody complains about this issue, then this issue will never be fixed. Complaining opens a small chance to change sometimes...

Cheers!

You want to fixit? Try teaching people what "binary" means. The fundamental issue is that marketing advertises drive capacity using base 10 math, while computers and file systems are and always have been, based on base 2 binary math. People can say that Gigabyte = 10^9 bytes all they want, but the computer can only use that storage as 2^30 bytes.

Isuppose another way to look at is simply that RAW capacity will always be larger than useable FORMATTED capacity.

Mar 6, 2012 11:48 AM in response to Michael Black

Michael, this is having nothing to do with the 10 or 2 base of calculation.

It's all about the OS ocupying space which is never available for the end user, as it should be (as per an average user understanding. Example: my gf which is a non-teck educated user, was asking me why her brand new laptop is not having 250 GB free space available so she can store the music, pics and the movies she wants. My answer was: because several GB are ocupied by the OS and the rest of the software. Her answer, and I am not joking: well, then just delete that stuff as I don't need it. I only want to have my music, pics and movies on my laptop!. Go figure...).

Mar 6, 2012 11:50 AM in response to 2992

The solution is simple: put for example 10GB inside a phone, partition/assign 2GB for the OS, and advertise the phone as iPhone with 8GB

It's not so simple.

Two scenarios, for example:

1. If the OS takes less than the designated 2 GB, do you really want to pay for it (yes, you'll be paying for it) and not be allowed to use it? Just leave it there "reserved"?

2. What happens if a future version of the OS needs more than the designated 2 GB? We start talking about unfairness all over again?

I'm done here.

16gb iphone only has 13.09 gb capacity on itunes?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.