Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Build website on Macbook Pro? New to Mac.

I have a new mac and want to build a website. Am looking at Weebly or Moonfruit, but someone said a Mac can do the same...true?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Jan 5, 2012 8:18 AM

5 replies

Oct 2, 2017 5:40 PM in response to kathleen e

A Mac is a great platform for building a website!

There are several ways to go depending on what you want to achieve. The web-based builders can quickly produce a stunning site (Wordpress, etc). Several standalone applications work very well - check out Blocs, Rapidweaver or Sparkle. For serious work you can use a source-code editor like Brackets or Pinegrow. For commercial site building many would subscribe to Adobe Muse.

I use Sparkle and find it very quick and easy to use. Rather than offer a time-limited trial Sparkle has a free option (limited to three pages with a discreet "made with Sparkle" banner but otherwise fully functional). There is a good selection of free templates, too. You can produce a decent website in a few hours.

One of the neatest things on the Mac for web designers is the Responsive Design Mode in Safari. This lets you see what a website looks like on various devices. Responsive web design (too big a topic to cover here) is very important as the days of people just accessing sites from a desktop computer are long gone. To enable Safari's Develop menu you simply need to go to Safari's preferences, select the Advanced tab and at the bottom check the "Show Develop menu in the menu bar" option.

The nice thing about Sparkle is that it has several built-in devices so you can easily adjust your design so it looks great everywhere.

Whatever you choose your Mac is up to it!

Jan 5, 2012 8:23 AM in response to kathleen e

Anything you can do on a PC, you can do on a Mac — anything at all. You may need to learn and use different software, or you may choose to run the Windows software you already know on the Mac. A Mac has all the capabilities of the Mac OS and Mac-native software plus all the capabilities of Windows and Windows-native software.

Jan 5, 2012 8:38 AM in response to kathleen e

Hey Kathleen... thanks for the tip about Weebly. I'd never come across it before. I've created a couple of pages in under two minutes on my iMac. Just what I've been looking for.

Obviously, it works fine on any Mac as it is browser based. I used Chrome for my initial attempt but Weebly will work just as well with Safari or Firefox.

Thanks again.

Build website on Macbook Pro? New to Mac.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.