Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Adding More Ram/Speed

Is it safe to add more RAM to my Macbook Pro? I have the late 2008 model, 13 inch MacBook Pro. I have found some RAM sticks that are affordable, but just wanted to double check if it's safe/easy to install.

Any advice/help wouldbe appreciated. Thanks.

13" MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.4)

Posted on Jan 5, 2012 12:36 PM

16 replies

Jan 5, 2012 1:01 PM in response to Kevin Lewis3

Yes, it is safe and very easy to install, I just did it today.

You just open up your MBP, slide out the current RAM, slide in the new RAM, and you're done!

I advise you to watch a video on that on YouTube.

Make sure to check how much RAM your model can handle!

I've got a MBP mid 2009 and (Apple says) it's limited to 8GB (2x4GB), which is what I installed.

Though I've heard people installed 16GB without any problems.

Hope this helps!

Jan 5, 2012 1:20 PM in response to Kevin Lewis3

Kevin Lewis3 wrote:

Where did you buy your memory at?

Although cheap memory is still good, it's not a place to save $5. Buy from a reputable manufacturer, whose standards meet or exceed those of Apple itself. Crucial.com is a good place. Also, Kingston is another good brand. Don't buy the really cheap stuff. Yes it might work. But the failure rate is higher, so you get it installed, spend days trying to diagnose a problem, try to send it back, then you're going crazy. The veterans around here stay with the name brands for memory.

As an example I just bought 8GB of some off-brand on Amazon. It was $30. Got it, installed it, had a memory fault. I had to ship it back, ordered Kingston memory for $15 more. Then I went to read the reviews of the off-brand. Many were good, but a significant number were bad. That's what happens with the cheap stuff. Kingston and Crucial do a 100% quality control. Cheap brands don't.

Don't buy from eBay, since PayPal will not help you and returns are impossible. Amazon is the best.

Jan 5, 2012 1:31 PM in response to SdeJonge

SdeJonge wrote:

I bought the Samsung. Reviews were good on it.

Also, Samsung is what Apple ships your MBP with.

Samsung also makes some of the nicest hard drives, so if you upgrade go for them.

It's kind of amusing, because Samsung and Apple are in some legendary patent battles across the world for the iPad and iPhone. I think Apple has blocked the sales of some Samsung products in Germany and Australia. But they are tight on other things.

Adding More Ram/Speed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.