Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does Thunderbolt Display work with mid 2010 macbook pro for video only?

The title says it all. In Apple site it says that it doesnt but I believe thats for Audio and data transfer speeds.

Has anyone tried? I want only video.

I have a MacBook Pro mid 2010: intel core i7 2.66 Ghz, NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M 512 MB graphics card and 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3 memory.

Please help! I dont want to get Apple Cinema Display.

Thanks for your time.

Posted on Jan 5, 2012 1:52 PM

9 replies

Jan 5, 2012 4:16 PM in response to Emir Ozmen

...but I believe thats for Audio and data transfer speeds...

Why do you believe that? The specifications for Thunderbolt also includes video.

...I want only video...I dont want to get Apple Cinema Display.

Then why do you want the Thunderbolt Display if you know that you can't and won't be using the USB and Firewire ports on the display? You're basically turning the Thunderbolt Display into a Cinema Display by using the video only.

You don't have a Thunderbolt port on your Mac so you can NOT use the Thunderbolt Display. Get the Cinema Display.

Jan 6, 2012 8:01 AM in response to Emir Ozmen

Obviously, you could always sell the Cinema Display when you get the new Mac. But otherwise, if you're going to limit yourself to the Thunderbolt Display, you have no choice but to get a Mac with a Thunderbolt port. If you're not going to buy a new Mac right now, that's your decision. Regardless, you can't use the Tunderbolt Display with your current Mac.

Jan 6, 2012 11:33 AM in response to Emir Ozmen

Apple's Cinema display is GORGEOUS! The price is comparable to other high-end monitors (e.g.: Dell Ultrasharp U3011 30" = $1400 versus Apple Cinema Display 27" = $1000.) But the price is a bit steep if one only wants to do basic things like watching movies and not "serious work" like a Photoshop or Final Cut.

While I personally would go for a Apple Cinema Display, if I was in the market for a high-end display, what you plan to do will determine which monitor to get. IOW, if I were only going to watch movies, then I'd attach my Mac to a 60" TV rather than the Apple Cinema display.

Jan 7, 2012 10:35 PM in response to Emir Ozmen

...But it doesnt have Facetime HD camera...

And you have a problem with buying a separate camera?

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/video/web_cams

A separate camera would have the advantage of you being able to keep using it when you change monitors.

...because dvi supports up to 1900x1200...

To use monitors larger than 24" (higher resolution than 1080p) you need a dual-link DVI adapter. I don't know exactly what cable you'll need for the Dell. (I tried to get a Dell sales rep to help with attaching a U3011 to a client's Mac a few months ago. No help at all.) The client and I gave up and Apple got the sale.

IMHO, I'd recommend the Apple Cinema Display simply because you avoid all hassles with finding the correct cables and adapters. If you were only going for a 1080p monitor (which would use a normal mini-Displayport/DVI cable) then it would be simple to find an appropriate cable or adapter. But the dual-link gets complicated unless you get a knowlegeable expert or a sales rep that's willing to work with you.

(edit: to clarify, I'm recommending the Apple Cinema Display because you're looking at monitors larger than 24". Otherwise "small" monitors, I don't have a problem with other brands because they don't require dual-link cables, which are an issue since you MBP use a mini-Displayport and you'll have a more difficult time finding the appropriate combination of cable and adapter(s).)

Does Thunderbolt Display work with mid 2010 macbook pro for video only?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.