Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes library after death

What happens to a person's iTunes library after death? Is it possible leave your music for someone to inherit (does Apple give them the username and password or is it possible for the songs to be recoded to the new owners account?)

(which also brings up the question- if they are not able to be inherited- did you really own that music, or were you just leasing it after all?)

Posted on Jan 5, 2012 10:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 5, 2012 10:46 PM

Many things in the digital world gives us a license to use and we never 'own' even if purchased. That includes a physical purchase such as a DVD or CD. If you buy a book, you may own the book but you are not allowed by various laws to copy of redistribute the works.

This article might help - http://www.macworld.com/article/159358/2011/04/death_itunes.html

MJ

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 5, 2012 10:46 PM in response to jbrandt

Many things in the digital world gives us a license to use and we never 'own' even if purchased. That includes a physical purchase such as a DVD or CD. If you buy a book, you may own the book but you are not allowed by various laws to copy of redistribute the works.

This article might help - http://www.macworld.com/article/159358/2011/04/death_itunes.html

MJ

Jan 5, 2012 11:27 PM in response to Mike Johnson12

Well sure- but physical property sure is much easier to pass along. I'm actually reminded of the TV commercial (which I think is rather silly/ludacris) where the guy inherits his grandfather's directTV account and jumps for joy. Not really a plausable thing today- but perhaps in the future when more of our "property" is digital.

Anyways, thank you for the article- it was rather helpful!

(I wonder if the answers would change if there was a state/federal law that required reassignment of digital property to new owners)

iTunes library after death

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.