Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to disable my.yahoo.com search in safari?

I have an AT&T version of a my.yahoo.com as my home page in Safari 5.1.2. I use the default Safari google search in the menu toorbar as my primary web search tool. When I open a new window and start typing in the Safari Google search bar, I type for just a bit and then my curser jumps to the "Yahoo Web Search" at the top of my.yahoo.com page as soon as the my.yahoo.com page compleletes loading

I can either stop typing move my curser back to the google search bar or wait until the page fully loads before clicking in the google search bar. Firefox 8.0.1 works fine, my curser stays in the Safari google search bar.

I can't find anyway to remove the yahoo web search or to force safari to leave my curser in the (default Safari) google search bar.

17in MBPro, MacPro, Xserve, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Jan 6, 2012 6:53 AM

7 replies

Feb 19, 2017 7:57 PM in response to EMiner

I did some updates and safe finder was download with it. I tried to stop but... anyway, it happens time to time and I always go check the extensions if there is new one.

Go to Safari > preference > extensions and you will see, if you do not know what to cause the search.yahoo.com kept popping up, the extensions that you do not know or new. Click the one and uninstall it.

Hope it helpful.

May 8, 2016 4:50 PM in response to EMiner

After 4 frustrating hours, trying to delete Yahoo as my default engine and restore Google, I followed the recommendations here and it worked. However, I want to add that going into Safari > General make sure that the website listed for the search engine you want is correct. In my case, I cut and pasted the correct Google address for Safari.......Here it is: https://www.google.com/?client=safari&channel=ipad_bm.

Hope this helps

How to disable my.yahoo.com search in safari?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.