Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to disable start up sound in macbook air

quick question, how do i turn off the startup sound in macbook air?

MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.7.2), 13.3 INCH MACBOOK AIR

Posted on Jan 6, 2012 11:07 AM

86 replies

Jan 6, 2012 1:42 PM in response to gnuwoods

Both the sound volume and the headphone/speaker selection control is software controlled. While internal speaker volume is set in PRAM at shutdown, the output device for the boot chime is not. It is always the external speaker. If you shut down with headphones connected, and then even boot with them connected, the startup chime will still be though the internal speakers, with subsequent sounds being then through the headphones.

Unfortunately for your situation, there is not a physical switchover mechanism built into the jack to perform the action you are looking for.

Just a thought... I use Victor Andeoni's particular Applescript to shut down my Mac, which makes for a clean, one-step shutdown. I don't think it would be complicated to add a couple of lines to mute the speaker as well. Of course, you would have to turn up the volume to the desired level after boot, or use a separate login item applescript to do that for you..

Jan 6, 2012 10:03 PM in response to steve359

steve359 wrote:

This works for me ... adds a "System Preferences" element ... http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/16425/startupsound.prefpane

The chime can be reduced in volume to where it is not annoying, but audible enough just in case it is not the "all is well" "bong" sound.

The app identifies itself as a PPC / Intel application. If this is the case, it won't work for the OP's system running Lion.

Apr 13, 2012 11:19 AM in response to SP Forsythe

I have one silly question. I want to modify Victor Andeoni's script but I don’t know where is his script? I downloaded the 2.0.2. I see the icon (CleanShutDown), Readme.rtf, Version 2.0.2.rtf, Changelog.rtf.

I suspect his script is in Version 2.0.2.rtf. But when I open the file, I only see the text “Version:2.0.1″. Where is code like “TALLogoutSavesState = 0″ located ?

Many thanks!

Apr 13, 2012 3:31 PM in response to 4yr_ago

View the contents of the package (CleanShutDown.app) with Finder (right-click, show contents). Then navigate to resources/scripts directory, then open the script using the App AppleScript. Make your modifications, then using AppleScript, save as an application of your own.

Here is the (unaltered) script:

tell application "Finder" to activate

tell application "System Events"

tell process "Finder"

click menu item 17 of menu 1 of menu bar item "Apple" of menu bar 1

end tell

end tell

delay 1

tell application "System Events"

tell process "loginwindow"

activate

click checkbox 1 of window 1

click button 2 of window 1

end tell

end tell

May 24, 2012 9:25 AM in response to shawonaries

Thanks to people who have posted "workarounds" for this issue, but does no one else think it's a little absurd to have to rely on third-party scripts for something as *functionally* important as muting the startup sound? I use Boot Camp and boot into Windows most of the time for work, so the OSX scripts don't really apply. But I hate the distraction of the startup gong when I'm working in a quiet environment, and I think it's awful design that I should have to "mute my sound at shutdown and re-set it at startup".

I don't mean to rant, but it's the recurring problem I have with all Apple products: it's the Mac way or the highway. I understand the appeal of a "simple, uniform environment" and a "walled garden" for security and stability, but certains things that are subject to user preference and would literally just require one checkbox in a preferences window are impossible. And most people on the forums either ignore the ridiculousness, or get mad that you want to do it differently (the irony does not escape me).

Sorry, I just had to vent. But I do hope that others will voice their frustration with the silly limitations imposed by Apple for important usability issues.

Aaron

how to disable start up sound in macbook air

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.