Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Comment Widget disappeared in Jan '12 for all previous posts

My previous posts had working comment widget in place, and some of them had comments. When I published a January 2012 post, although the comment widget for that Jan post appears as expected, ALL of my 2009, 2010 & 2011 posts have instead of the working widget, black font saying "Comments Widget" and no functionality, and no list of previously posted widgets on any browser.

In the iWeb application, I see that the both the widget and previously posted comments are still present.... it's just a publication thing that may have been triggered by the new year, 2012.

I have NO new software. Any ideas? Solutions?

Posted on Jan 6, 2012 11:19 AM

12 replies

Jan 7, 2012 8:52 AM in response to Seabreezes1

I don't quite understand what Apple means by this because iCloud will not provide hosting. Have you not seen all the dicussions on this forum about it? If not take a look and you will see that come June this year when MobileMe ceases to exist, you will most certainly need to find another host for your website.

So Apple is wrong - you will need to do something and that is look for new hosting and transfer your site to that new hosting - to that end take a look at http://www.hostexcellence.com and http://www.godaddy.com and check out what they have to offer, because you'll have to move and I'd suggest that you do it sooner rather than later.

Jan 8, 2012 2:19 PM in response to Old Toad

You misunderstand.... there is a discrepancy between 2012 and earlier posts

1. YES - the Jan 2012 Comment Widget is working fine, per screen shot, above.
  2. NO - all the other posts should have the same widget, they don't. See image for Dec 2011 below.

User uploaded file

I cleared the cache, good suggestion, unfortunately, that wasn't it. Still have the same problem.

Jan 8, 2012 2:44 PM in response to Seabreezes1

Opps. Reversed the issue.😟

I can't tell what's causing it but these two screenshots show the comment link to be below the line in the 2012 blog but below the line in the others.

User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

And the line above the add a comment link does not show in the other blog pages. Try moving the comment widget up a bit in one of the earlier entries and rebublish to see if that makes any diffrerence.

Jan 8, 2012 2:59 PM in response to Old Toad

Nope - the line is part of the widget, but I did play with moving both the Jan & Dec widgets around a bit.... no change in format or functionality when published.

I really think it has to be something internal. Perhaps the server cache needs to be cleared? January bugaboos often have to do with minor annual maintenance tasks. I did report to them that I thought they had a bug triggered by the calendar.... but who knows how long it'll take for anyone to read it and take it seriously.

Other ideas?

Jun 8, 2012 8:24 AM in response to Seabreezes1

Did you ever find a solution to your problem? I am having the same issue now. I hadn't posted to my blog for a while, and when I went to it today, all the comments are gone, with the black "Comments Widget" text. I published a single post (not the entire site), and now all past comments have been wiped out... three years of great feedback from my readers.

&^@#@!

Jun 9, 2012 9:37 AM in response to David Green4

the problem caused by iweb generated bad code.

look at Seabreezes1's good page's source code, search for CommentsWidget; then look for

$manage-tooltip$ at the end of text block. you see that it enclosed in single quote (tick).

now, look at her bad page's source code, you see that the img tag src, alt and title are enclosed in double quotes. there are more than one error in the code.

that's bad code because the double quote terminate the text string too early start from "<div, you can have double quotes in text string but they need to have escape character \ before them or have single quotes in double quote text string.

have you try to publish entire site?

if the later entries are good then publish entire site again would fix the earlier entries. but you need to move your site before the end of this month.

Comment Widget disappeared in Jan '12 for all previous posts

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.