Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to export page layout to epub?

Alternatively, how can I convert a page layout document to a word processing document, which can be exported as an epub?

Sorry this is brief but I'm not sure what other info would help in answering the questions. 😊

Intel Mac Mini 2.26 (early 2009), Mac OS X (10.7), 23" Cinema Display, 4GB, 120GB SSD, 500GB HDD

Posted on Jan 6, 2012 12:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 6, 2012 10:48 PM

Recreate your document using either a Pages' word processing document or Apple's ePub template.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4168

10 replies

Jan 7, 2012 4:30 PM in response to Tod Wicks

@ Dale & Yvan:

Thanks for your kind replies, both of which provided some further insight into Pages.

However, my document is a 16-page monthly newsletter in booklet-sized format. It contains not only the usual text boxes, but also photos, tables, tables that span several pages, and a variety of other objects. I convert the finished product to a PDF file suitable for the print shop to print a couple of hundred copies. The PDF also gets mailed to those who want it. I am always looking for choices for our membership, which is why I considered exporting it to ePub format as well, since members are now looking at documents on their smartphones and tablets.

@ Yvan: Exporting it to Word format causes a lot of parts to go missing or misplaced.

@ Dale: I'm not sure if recreating it as a WP document would produce the desired end result, which is a commercially printed booklet. I will certainly try to set up a template using the Apple template as a starting point.

Let me know if you can think of other tricks! And thanks again.

-Tod

Jan 13, 2012 6:43 PM in response to Tod Wicks

@ Dale: I'm not sure if recreating it as a WP document would produce the desired end result, which is a commercially printed booklet.

A WP document can create a commercially printed booklet. It's just not as easy as a Page Layout document. But an ePub file isn't meant to be printed - they're designed exclusively for reading on a screen.

I'm not an expert but I understand ePub supports text boxes, photos (inline images), tables, etc. It's not a perfect format as it's still being developed and the tools aren't quite there yet.

Here's a general link showing how to create a basic ePub document with images.

http://etc.usf.edu/techease/4all/web-accessibility/creating-epub-documents-with- pages/

Jan 19, 2012 7:48 PM in response to PeterBreis0807

@ Peter

Thanks for the laugh!

As one who was weaned on the original cut and paste using a light table, with the results being "camera ready," then using IBM's Bookmaster, then later using Apple's Pascal + macros, I've been laying out stuff for ages. I think of word processors as content creators while page layout applications as things that let you take WP output and paste it up. Please forgive my heritage and my preference for layout vs. wp.

Jan 19, 2012 7:53 PM in response to Tod Wicks

To all who responded:

I want to thank you for offering tips and suggestions. I've come to the conclusion that I'm simply trying to do too much by offering yet another choice of format to the members. One of the officers asked me, "Why?" I had no really good answer other than to offer the choice.

So in the interest of sanity, I will forget this endeavor.

I don't use the forums enough to know how to close a discussion if no reply has provided a clear "correct answer."

Jan 20, 2012 2:20 AM in response to Tod Wicks

Tod Wicks wrote:

@ Dale: I'm not sure if recreating it as a WP document would produce the desired end result, which is a commercially printed booklet. I will certainly try to set up a template using the Apple template as a starting point.

A layout document is no more than a WP one deprieved of its main text layer and a lot of features.

So using a WP one make no difference when you print it.

Yvan KOENIG (VALLAURIS, France) vendredi 20 janvier 2012

iMac 21”5, i7, 2.8 GHz, 12 Gbytes, 1 Tbytes, mac OS X 10.6.8 and 10.7.2

My Box account is : http://www.box.com/s/00qnssoyeq2xvc22ra4k

My iDisk is : http://public.me.com/koenigyvan

How to export page layout to epub?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.