Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does Apple make a mechanical keyboard?

I need a good mechanical switch keyboard for touch typing. I don't think Apple makes one anymore. Can anyone recommend a good mechanical switch keyboard? I want good tactile and audible feedback. I want sufficient throw in the switches. I don't need a gaming keyboard. I don't need an egonomica keyboard. I just want to type very fast. I'm not a writer, but I sometimes spew out one or two thousand words of text at a time. I can't do that very quickly on a cheezy keyboard.

27" iMac

Posted on Jan 6, 2012 3:08 PM

10 replies

Jan 6, 2012 3:26 PM in response to steve359

Hi Steve, yes I had a Northgate 386 long, long ago in a galaxy far, far away...even did some hiogh performance computer testing on one of their machines they loaned me...for comparison with a machine I had custom built with a 386 and Motorola board to do parallel processing...before anyone had even heard of such a thing on the desktop. But that was a lifetime ago 🙂

Jan 6, 2012 3:50 PM in response to required desired alias

I feel your pain. This is why I still use an old Apple Extended Keyboard (a.k.a.: Enterprise.) I uses good Alps mechanisms and because it was as close as I could get to what I consider the best keyboard for touch typing, the IBM Model M. Both have the same layout without the large return key, so I can transition between my Mac and PCs easily. (I have 4 Model Ms so that I don't have to worry about ever needing to find another one. 🙂 )

In the past, I would have suggested trying to find a Apple Extended Keyboard, but no one makes the ADB-to-USB adapter anymore. If you don't mind getting a Windows keyboard (so that you can use the Windows key as Command, albiet in the wrong place,) Unicomp still makes "buckling spring" keyboards similar to the Model M, and have the Windows key and are USB.

If you really want to have the Command key in the proper place, then my next recommendation would be to find a Apple keyboard from a G5 iMac. They're not bad, but for me, I they feel a little soft. Beyond that, there's the Matias FK302. I haven't tried that one, but if my Apple Extended Keyboard or it's ADB-to-USB adapter ever fails, that's the one I'd try next.

All of these aren't cheap, but as you already know, for a fast typist, a good keyboard is like a crack pipe to an addict. 😀

(edit: I've just been told that the Unicomp Spacesaver M has a Mac layout with the Command and Option keys.)

Jan 6, 2012 8:03 PM in response to Asatoran

Thanks for the information. I looked through my box of old keyboards and discovered that I never owned the Apple Extended Keyboard. However, among the lot was an old ADB M0116 and it has the best feel of any of them. A little internet research revealed that the M0116 uses the Alps keyswitches. I also found a rave review of the Matias Tactile Pro and it uses the Alps keyswitches. So my new Matias keyboard is in the mail. It's $114 at OWC. Thanks again.

May 24, 2012 3:23 PM in response to required desired alias

I just got the Spacesaver M (new) from Unicomp, the keyboard mentioned above. This is basically an original-design IBM Model M modified to work with Macs, that is, it's got Control/Option/Command keys, and the function keys are labeled and configured as media controls.

I've heard that people are having trouble with the monitor brightness controls (F1/F2) with this keyboard. After calling Unicomp and learning they didn't know how to solve this, I figured it out, for me at least.

I still had my Apple Bluetooth keyboard connected (via Bluetooth) at the same time my Spacesaver M was plugged in via USB. I was able to switch between the two keyboards without changing any preference settings, so I saw no reason to disconnect the Bluetooth keyboard.

IMPORTANT: disconnecting the Apple keyboard (click the Bluetooth icon in the menu bar, select the keyboard device, and select "Disconnect") allowed the brightness controls on the USB keyboard to begin functioning as they should!

Incidentally, I'm running Lion 10.7.4.

Back to the original subject, in addition to Spacesaver M, there are a few other mechanical keyboards that may merit consideration: Das Keyboard Model "S" Professional and Mathias Tactile Pro 2. I'm listing some blogged reviews of these keyboards below:

-^-rdj-^-

Jun 4, 2014 1:31 PM in response to required desired alias

I just bought a Matias keyboard which seemed like a great idea with nice clicky buttons but I am taking it right back! First it occasionally starts typing random words in Greek? It was expensive and then I noticed that when I tried to use google, instead of going there it sent random unknow gogle entries to my download folder. Scary. Dont know whats the matter with this thing but its not good. Anybody else have solutions before it goes back????

Does Apple make a mechanical keyboard?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.