9 Replies Latest reply: Dec 8, 2013 1:31 PM by Stephen Spark
mknac Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)

I just switched to the Logitech Harmony One remote.  It works great with all my equipment execpt my Apple TV (first generation).

What settings should I use for the Logitech Harmony One remote to recognize my ATV?

• 1. Re: Using Apple TV with a Logitech Harmony One remote
    zachkolk Level 1 Level 1 (20 points)

I'm not positive about this, but I wouldn't think Apple would allow a non-Apple remote controlling the ATV. Thats just not the way they work and they probably justify it by saying that using anything other than the provided Apple remote or an iOS device takes away from the user experience by adding unneeded complexity because of an incorporation of so many buttons (the ATV remote has 7 buttons, far less than any other popular remote control of any kind). But in your situation, it's the opposite, you're taking away complexity by removing a remote. Sorry mknac, but I think you're out of luck.

• 2. Re: Using Apple TV with a Logitech Harmony One remote
    jd416 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Just set up my Apple TV (2nd gen) and Harmony One. Works like a charm.

Remote setting:  Computer-> Media Center PC -> Apple -> Apple TV

Doesn't seem to care if it's Gen 1 or 2 so I bet your chances are good.

• 3. Re: Using Apple TV with a Logitech Harmony One remote
    Stephen Spark Level 4 Level 4 (2,395 points)

As jd stated the Harmony One works perfectly well controlling any ATV. I have been using the Harmony One for a few years with an ATV 1 and since updated to the ATV2 with no issues.

You can also teach both generations of the ATV to use any other remote as well. Check the option in Settings/Remote/Learn Remote. I have my bedroom Sumsung TV's remote controlling it's ATV1 by programing the ATV to use it through the TV remote's VCR button.

• 4. Re: Using Apple TV with a Logitech Harmony One remote
    Dawginole Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

That's not something Apple could control, zachkolk. The box is just receiving IR signals. It has no idea what they are coming from.

• 5. Re: Using Apple TV with a Logitech Harmony One remote
    Marandom Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I had the same problem, the remote needs to be set up in Apple TV. You need to finish the set up of apple tv in the harmony remote, just confirm all the testing even though it isn't controlling Apple TV. Then use your current Apple TV remote to learn the new remote. Settings. General. Remotes. Learn Remote. It prompts you to use the Harmony remote to learn the buttons. Worked perfectly for me.

• 6. Re: Using Apple TV with a Logitech Harmony One remote

During setup, the remote profile for the Apple TV when adding the new device is under "Computer/Media Center PC" then you have to type Apple TV in the Model box.

• 7. Re: Using Apple TV with a Logitech Harmony One remote
    Dawginole Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Stephen is correct.

Select "Add a Device" > "Computer/Media Center PC" > Manufacturer: "Apple" > Type in: "Apple TV" > Then simply answer the questions about what other devices are to do what when you are using this device. i.e. "Use my receiver to adjust the volume" for example.

By default the directional buttons and select button will move your pointer and dive in to your selections. I believe the Menu button backed out to top menus, but I may have manually set that up.

Either way, it works flawlessly. Good luck!

• 8. Re: Using Apple TV with a Logitech Harmony One remote
    jo55 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

How is it that you guys are getting the option of "Computer/Media Center PC" under add a device? All I get is two options, Manufacturer and Model.

• 9. Re: Using Apple TV with a Logitech Harmony One remote

There should be a drop down menu under "Device" labeled "select device to add" which has 11 choices such as Television, Amplifier, DVD... Once you select an option there will be an additional drop down menu under Manufacturer and so on.