Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

magsafe compatibility

Can I safely use my MacBook Pro 85W magsafe charger to charge my 11" MacBook Air, or do I need to drag my 45W magsafe to the office?

MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Jan 6, 2012 4:22 PM

7 replies

Jan 6, 2012 4:29 PM in response to emptywait

Power adapters for Intel-based Apple portables are available in 45W, 60W, and 85W varieties. Although you should always use the proper wattage adapter for your Apple portable, you can use an adapter of a higher wattage without issue.

For instance If you have a MacBook (13-inch Late 2009) that normally uses a 60W adapter, you can also use an 85W adapter with that computer. You would not use a 45W adapter with that computer; it would not provide enough power for that MacBook. Using an adapter of higher wattage than the adapter that came with the computer will not cause the computer to charge more quickly or otherwise operate any differently than using the adapter that came with the computer.

magsafe compatibility

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.