Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

From Logic to GarageBand '11

As a 4 year Mac user coming from Windows...I loved my Cakewalk Studio Software. That was the hardest thing to leave behind in Windows. When I made the switch, I tinkered in GarageBand but was told that LOGIC STUDIO was the way to go. So, I did my research and made the expensive plunge after a while. I have found myself so frustrated after taking online classes, buying the book, etc. It's just too @#$@# hard to learn and even moreso to use.

So I dusted off the Garageband again. Good thing for me is since I have Logic 9, I have all the Jam Packs. I'm not a pro musician and found myself resorting to GarageBand when Logic became overwhelming. Heck, I can turn GB into a quick karaoke box....not so with Logic. Still don't know how to do that in less than 50 clicks.

So any others out there who switched to GarageBand FROM Logic? Would love to hear your stories and what make GB work for you!

Posted on Jan 6, 2012 10:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 7, 2012 1:16 PM

I had been on Windows for ages for recording, primarily using Tracktion and before that Cubase. When I got my Mac in 2008, I used GB for awhile until I could swing Logic 9. When I got it, I just didn't have the time to properly learn it; grad school, kids, work, etc. So I've gone back to GB, and love using it. I'm a guitar player, and this is all just a hobby, so GB fits perfectly for that.

We'll see what happens with the next version of Logic. I know the pros will be angry if this happens, but if Logic turns into "GarageBand Pro" like they say FCP now is, then I personally will be happy. I like GB, but there are a few things I wish it did that it doesn't, like MIDI output (without relying on third party stuff).

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 7, 2012 1:16 PM in response to PKGuy323

I had been on Windows for ages for recording, primarily using Tracktion and before that Cubase. When I got my Mac in 2008, I used GB for awhile until I could swing Logic 9. When I got it, I just didn't have the time to properly learn it; grad school, kids, work, etc. So I've gone back to GB, and love using it. I'm a guitar player, and this is all just a hobby, so GB fits perfectly for that.

We'll see what happens with the next version of Logic. I know the pros will be angry if this happens, but if Logic turns into "GarageBand Pro" like they say FCP now is, then I personally will be happy. I like GB, but there are a few things I wish it did that it doesn't, like MIDI output (without relying on third party stuff).

Jan 7, 2012 2:56 PM in response to polaris20

I hear alot of people say they would like a Garageband Pro edition which would be GB with all the Logic features. I'm really hoping they will do to Logic X what they did with Final Cut Pro....make it look like the iLife app with more features. Some may not want Logic X to look like Garageband, but the GB interface is SO INTUITIVE that they would sell more of Logic X. Add all the Jam Packs and it's a win-win.

I have a project in Logic that I still can't seem to figure out how to quantize the score notes. When I took the Logic workshop at the Apple Store, they scratched their heads too. Since I dusted off GB '11, I was able to import this project into GB and found the Score settings ASAP and voila, it was fixed.

IMO, Apple should make Logic the natural upgrade to GarageBand by keeping the interface similar and adding lots of the features/jam packs into it. Make it an APP STORE purchase and BOOM!, there it is.

Jan 7, 2012 6:58 PM in response to PKGuy323

Started with Ableton Live, then went to Logic Express 8 and now with GB. The major selling point for me was that the GB menu and options learning curve was soooo much easier to get to know than the other DAW's I tried. Granted it can be very easy to get something recorded in Live and Logic, but they get very deep very quick when you start to put the finishing touches on a project. I also found that GB got me to a point very quickly where I was using my ears and finding creative outcomes while making actual music rather than trying to understand the actual program itself. I often found that after putting down a project for a week or so, trying to come back to it in Logic or Ableton meant that I had to get the manual out once again or try and find explanations on the net before I could get back into the swing of things again.

I too want a 'Pro' version of GB, in that a few things like a better mixing view, perhaps some group folders, MIDI mapping to external controllers, send MIDI to external synth, some improvements to the MIDI editing features, a guitar only clef with a TAB view and a drum clef in the score view and perhaps some access to some of the sound generators in Logic.... 👿

Anyways, I have tried a few other program demo's as well but always end up back at GB. 😀 Cheers.

Jan 8, 2012 2:47 PM in response to gjmnz

Aux (Auxiliary) channels are channel that can be added in between input and master channel. They actually can take input from any output and sent to any input that you want.

Usually used for echo and reverb they work like the echo and reverb channels in garageband except with much more flexibility. You can assign them any effect and send any channels output or portion of it's output to a aux channel and send a percentage of it to the master or headphone or to another aux. This lets you share and mix effects with any or all channel while not having to add the same effect to each input channel strip.

I like it because it saves cpu allowing you to freeze channels and still adjust effects on the aux's. Also I can have many takes on separate tracks using different amp sims but using the same effects on a aux. I'm not sure if this is how it's meant to be used but it's how I use them.

Also riding the faders is nice in logic also.

Jul 26, 2013 11:50 AM in response to PKGuy323

Since it's now mid-2013 and Logic Pro X has been released, I invested the $199 in Apple and upgraded to it. While some Pro's may scowl at this, it is like GarageBand Pro and I am THRILLED with it. Those who use GarageBand may be encouraged to make the step up to LPX since the user interface has its similarities.

Moving to LPX and getting all the Additional Content AKA Jam PAcks and new loops, etc...this is the best bang for the buck. I remember when Jam Packs were $99 each and there were about 5 of them.

Anyone else make the move to LPX?

From Logic to GarageBand '11

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.