Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

grey screen of death? Did it die? Any suggestions? Help I'm ready to jump!

Help me please! I turned on my iMac tonight. At first it seemed business as usual, the screen came to life, I got the opening musical bong then the grey screen. Unfortunately, it all stopped there. I tried turning it off and then back on only to experience the same issue. Luckily I have almost everything backed up EXCEPT for the 8 hours of work a bride and I just did on her wedding album, she didn't have adequate Internet service. I desperately need to find a way to get this sucker up at least long enough to save the file somewhere else. I'm so sick with worry... Please help!

iMac, iOS 5.0.1, I'm beginning to hate macs..

Posted on Jan 7, 2012 3:50 AM

6 replies

Jan 7, 2012 5:25 AM in response to Cooknlin

I'd start with an SMC reset. If that doesn't work post back as there are other things to try.

To give the best advice we'll need to know what version of OS X you are running - 10.5/10.6/10.7 and what iMac you have.

SMC Reset

1. Shut down the computer.
  2. Unplug the computer’s power cord and disconnect peripherals.
  3. Press and hold the power button for 5 seconds.
  4. Release the power button.
  5. Attach the computers power cable.
  6. Press the power button to turn on the computer.

Jan 7, 2012 10:19 AM in response to Paul_31

Thank you so much Paul and WZZZ. I tried both of your suggestions unfortunately I think it's time to face the truth the hard drive... She has died. the computer won't respond to either (actually any) the safe boot methods. I tried everyone in the article you sent me WZZZ well up to what amounts to a reformatof the disc. I drew the line there and figured it was time to wait for the professionals. I appreciate the assistance and the plainspeak.... You both are amazing.

grey screen of death? Did it die? Any suggestions? Help I'm ready to jump!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.