Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Library is invisible - how to make it visible

I would like to make all folders visible in Mac OS Lion.
It seems that Library is not visible, not from the home folder

I want to restore the Firefox Profile Folder from Time Machine, and this Profile Folder is in the invisible Library.

Posted on Jan 7, 2012 9:03 AM

16 replies

Jan 9, 2012 7:45 PM in response to Bomiboll

Bomiboll wrote:

I would like to make all folders visible in Mac OS Lion.

Do you realize how many hidden folders there are in OS X? Making them all visible would be cumbersome, not to mention inviting risky behavior.

It seems that Library is not visible, not from the home folder

To visit your user's Library folder, just hold down an "option" key before you pull down the Finder's "Go" menu. That will make "Library" one of the "Go" options.

Jan 9, 2012 7:53 PM in response to Bomiboll

You're really using too big a hammer to pull that splinter out.

Just use William's suggestion to show the Library folder, then Enter Time Machine.

Or, Enter Time Machine, then when you have Finder window, type cmd-shift-G and type ~/Library into the field and click Go. You'll be in the hidden Library folder where you can find and restore whatever it is you need.

Jan 30, 2013 4:09 PM in response to Merkaba22

I don't know, but it isn't really necessary.

Mount the backup and type cmd-shift-G in the Finder. Type

/Volumes/<backupVolumeName>/Users/<yourUserName>/Library and hit return.

Substitute the appropriate information where indicated by <>. That will open the "hidden" Library folder.

For each section you can start typeing the words and hit Tab and it will auto-fill in what it finds that matches. If it doesn't, keep typing the full name.

Apr 12, 2014 5:00 AM in response to Merkaba22

You are succumbing to an age-old problem with List View. In List View, the current folder is the one whose name shows in the Title bar, not the folder you have selected. So, when you Get Info, it is showing the info for the Current folder, Macintosh HD.

If you Ctrl-click on your home folder there, you can choose Get Info from the contextual menu and it will be for that folder.

Library is invisible - how to make it visible

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.