Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook "pdf" files show up "black" on screen

Any time I go to a web page that has a pdf file my Macbook running 10.6.8 with a 2GHz Intel Core Duo screen is totally black. All other files open fine. Suggestions?

Ted

t.bump1@gmail.com

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jan 7, 2012 10:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 26, 2012 8:20 PM

I see the same thing on 10.6.8 on iMac 2GHZ Intel Core Duo. I have updated system software and downloaded a new copy of Adove Reader. Nothing I do will change the black screen of a PDF downloaded. If I can download and save it to disk it will show up in Adobe Reader correctly. This happens in Safari and Firefox (recently updated too). This has been happening for weeks (before and after recent updates were applied).

ANy ideas?

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 26, 2012 8:20 PM in response to theodore152

I see the same thing on 10.6.8 on iMac 2GHZ Intel Core Duo. I have updated system software and downloaded a new copy of Adove Reader. Nothing I do will change the black screen of a PDF downloaded. If I can download and save it to disk it will show up in Adobe Reader correctly. This happens in Safari and Firefox (recently updated too). This has been happening for weeks (before and after recent updates were applied).

ANy ideas?

Jun 30, 2014 9:25 AM in response to theodore152

I had this same problem, and is now Fixed. Problem was, I would try to read a file PDF from any website and always get a black screen.

Turns out, all I needed was to make sure I had the latest version of Adobe, and not just that, after you download it, you have to
1. "Launch" adobe reader from your program list,

2. Click on Agree, accept all terms

3. relaunch your webpage,

4. open PDF file, and it will now be readable.

The block is, that you need to accept the terms of use, or it will remain black when you try to open a PDF in Safari.

MacBook "pdf" files show up "black" on screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.