Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Invalid volume free block count"

So I have a MacBook that I got in 2007 and recently had to upgrade my operating system to Snow Leopard because iTunes wouldn't work. I have never had issues with this computer before but it has been kind of slow lately so I ran the disk utility, like I have done before. Instead of being able to repair anything, after I ran "Verify Disk" it came up with a message that looked like this:

Checking volume information.

Invalid volume free block count

(It should be 10069792 instead of 10069785)

The volume Macintosh HD was found corrupt and needs to be repaired.

Error: This disk needs to be repaired. ...then use disk utility to repair this disk.

A pop up window also came up that tells me to start up my computer with another disk, such as my MacOSX installation disk and then use disk utility to repair the disk. I tried to do this with the original installation disk but it said that my disk utility was the wrong version (I'm guessing because I upgraded my operating system?). So I tried to do the same thing using my Snow Leopard installation disk and it won't let me do the same thing. If anyone knows how to fix this I would really appreciate some step by step instructions on what I should do! I am in nursing school and about to spend about $600 bucks on books and I can't really afford to pay an IT person to fix it right now. Thanks for any help you can give me!!

-Grace

PS my computer is still fully functional as far as I can tell (I'm writing this post from my computer), I'm just confused by this error message

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jan 7, 2012 10:29 AM

13 replies

Jan 7, 2012 10:35 AM in response to grace613

In order to repair your hard drive, you need to boot from another source, then you can repair the hard drive. Typically, you would boot using either the original OS X disk that came with your system or a retail OS X disk or, if you have a bootable backup on an external hard drive, you can boot from that too. WIth the OS X disk, you insert the disk, then reboot holding the C key down, which causes it to boot to the OS X disk. Then click utilities, bring up Disk Utility, and do a repair disk.

Your Snow Leopard disk is the black-faced retail version? If so, you should be able to boot to it. Did you hold the C key down when you tried before?

Jan 7, 2012 11:16 AM in response to grace613

Put your install DVD into the optical drive and reboot. As soon as you hear the boot chime, hold down the "c"key on your keyboard (or the Option key until the Install Disk shows up). That will force your MacBook to boot from the install DVD in the optical drive.When it does start up, you'll see a panel asking you to choose your language. Choose your language and press the Return key on your keyboard once. It will then present you with an Installation window. Completely ignore this window and click on Utilities in the top menu and scroll down to Disk Utility and click it.When it comes up is your Hard Drive in the list on the left?
If it is then click on the Mac OS partition of your hard drive in the left hand list. Then select the First Aid Tab and run Repair Disk. The Repair Disk button won't be available until you've clicked on the Mac OS partition on your hard drive. If that repairs any problems run it again until the green OK appears and then run Repair Permissions.

Jan 7, 2012 12:25 PM in response to frederic1943

Thank you! Your instructions were clear and easy to follow & it worked! So now that I have repaired the disk & permissions, what should I do? My first guess would be to just turn my computer off and restart it normally but I just wanted to check. Also, will this effect my operating system at all since I had to use the original install cd to repair the disk, and not my snow leopard install cd (which I purchased at the Apple store, to answer a previous post)? In other words, am I going to need to reinstall anything? Thank you again!!!

Apr 13, 2013 6:59 AM in response to Jensen Gelfond

I wonder if the http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2028 article is still relevant (although I hope it is) as it's been archived and only references systems up to 10.5? I'm running 10.8.3

Drive Genius 3 on my Macbook Pro 2.8 Ghz Intel core 2 Duo is reporting "critical errors":

Incorrect block count for file Collection HD 1.8.ipa

(It should be 5120 instead of 102520)

(It should be 58821982 instead of 58724582)

The volume Brain HD was found corrupt and needs to be repaired.

After booting from system clone on an external hard drive Drive Genius is unable to repair the macbook hard drive.

After reading this thread I'm now booting back into the cloned copy and will try Disk Utility...

Apr 13, 2013 12:19 PM in response to digitalmem

I know this thread is pretty dead but in case this might help someone...

I booted from a cloned copy (using Carbon Copy Cloner) on my external hard drive and Disk Utility was also unable to fix the "incorrect block count" issues.

I then erased the internal hard drive using Disk Utility and retored it using the clone (again via Carbon Copy Cloner). It all took forever (4+ hours but I am on an older macbook pro using USB and the whole enchilada was 250GB).

After restarting with the "new" system on the internal hard drive I did a verify via Disk Utility and Drive Genius 3 and no problems reported! I wasn't experienceing any "real" issues (at least that I noticed) but now I feel psychologically;-) happier with Drive Genius 3 no longer reporting "critical issues" with the hard drive.

May 25, 2014 5:31 PM in response to grace613

When I try to repair as per instructions re: disk utility from recovery HD I get a message that there's nothing wrong. I reboot run disk util and get the same message

Volume bitmap needs minor repair for orphaned blocks

Checking volume information.

(It should be 2760878 instead of 2731802)

The volume Macintosh HD was found corrupt and needs to be repaired.

Error: This disk needs to be repaired using the Recovery HD. Restart your computer, holding down the Command key and the R key until you see the Apple logo. When the OS X Utilities window appears, choose Disk Utility.

Go back to recovery HD same thing all over again. Disk Util says something is wrong and Recovery HD says nothing is wrong.

"Invalid volume free block count"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.