Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't download zip files

Each time I try to download a .zip file I get an error in the downloads window:

"0 bytes of ? - POSIX error: Connection reset by peer"

I can't seem to solve this problem. I have tried other browsers as well so I think that this is not just a safari problem.

Firefox downloads the .zip file to my desktop, but it is only 4kb and won't unzip. obviously something is wrong here.

I have tried many different .zip download files and I get the same result each time. Any help out there?

powerbook 17" 1.6GHz, Mac OS X (10.4.3), current safari and firefox

Posted on Feb 14, 2006 11:38 AM

11 replies

Feb 14, 2006 12:05 PM in response to mattor

My first question is: from where do you download it? Cause normally Safari doesn't care what kind of file it downloads, as long as there is a connection. If Firefox gives you a 4Kb file, it also hasn't downloaded anything, just the URL.
If you get a message like this: 0 bytes of ? - POSIX error: Connection reset by peer" it just means that the connection has been shut down by the server you're connected to.

Feb 14, 2006 2:46 PM in response to mattor

How are you connected to the internet?

Have you tried power cycling your router/modem?

Also, I doubt this will work but can you confirm that using Safari in another user account behaves the same. This will help us to know whether your problem is local to your account or system wide. If you don't have another account you can use System Preferences -> Accounts -> [+] to create a test one (and [-] to remove it if needed)

User uploaded file

Feb 14, 2006 3:15 PM in response to iBod

I am connected via a cable modem and a netscreen 5 router/firewall. There is no problem there. I have the same problem with this computer in other network settings (work, friends house).

I created a new user and the exact same problem exists there.

I have also tried this on a few other OSX computers that I have here. Same problem on all of them. All 10.4.2 or higher.

Other thoughts?

Feb 14, 2006 3:25 PM in response to mattor

I have also tried this on a few other OSX computers that I have here. Same problem on all of them.

If it's happening on a variety of Macs then it would seem to be something connected to the cable modem/router/ISP.

I'm able to download the link you posted earlier without any problems for what it's worth. I'm not sure what else to suggest for the moment though - hopefully someone else will jump in with some ideas.

User uploaded file

Feb 14, 2006 4:07 PM in response to mattor

What happens if you Option-Click on the link to download the zip file directly to your computer?

Can you hook up one of your Macs directly to the cable modem, bypassing the router, so you could rule the router out as a problem?

Do you have problems with zip files from all sites? Here are some zip files you can test downloading. They are skins for VLC Player, but they won't work for the Mac version. The content is not the issue, it is downloading and opening the zip file.

I also had no problems downloading and opening the tasktime4 zip file.

Feb 14, 2006 4:13 PM in response to mattor

Hi mattor,
I Googled round a little looking for this POSIX error thing and I found out it's not a Safari thing, but something in the Unix kernel of OSX. Since I am a complete Unix nitwit, you may need the help of a real expert, though there's something you might try: on this site
http://linux.com.hk/penguin/man/4/ipfw_chains.html I found out that it maybe a firewall problem in the sense that the firewall won't accept certain files, which would explain why you only have problems with zip files. So you may try to remove the firewall and see what happens. I also found on this site an interesting line: ECONNRESET (packet would be accepted using masquerading). If I read this right, you may try to download it with the 'safe as' function and then when it asks you where to put, just rename the .zip in the file to .pdf or .jpg or anything that gives no problem, then start the download and when it's downloaded rename it to .zip. Maybe you can fool things that way. I am curious if this will work.

Feb 14, 2006 10:56 PM in response to bearwil

Problem solved. It was the firewall. (Same brand (netscreen) at work and home)

In a Netscreen 5XP, in the "screen" settings on the untrust interface, the following boxes must be unchecked:
block java component
block activeX component
block zip component.

I left the "block exe component" checked and I had no trouble downloading zip files again.

Thank you all for the help. I love these discussion boards because of you fine people.

Can't download zip files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.