Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I get Pages to recognize the Norwegian language in spell-check?

I'm Ameican and I got my beautiful MacBook air with me in Norway. I use Pages to write notes and do homework, but it doesn't have Norwegian as a language amunst the spellcheck dictionary. It has Swedish and Danish ofcours, but it's not the same. Is there any way to get a Norwegian (bokmål) dictionary for Pages?

Pages '09-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Jan 7, 2012 12:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 7, 2012 12:49 PM

I found the answere from another user of the duscussion boards. Check out this link written in Norwegian bokmål: http://www.soundslikeyou.no/mac/applehjelp/files/lion-stavekontroll.php

5 replies

Jan 8, 2012 11:09 AM in response to mvbcdo

You may also add OpenOffice spell checkers, there is a long list of languages, including Norwegian. These may be used with other apps too. Downloaded OO dics have the extension .oxt, manually change it to .zip, confirm when asked that you really wish to do this. Open the resulted folder and take from there .dic and .aff files, and move them to /Library/spelling. You may thus have as many spell checking dics as you wish. They may be selected in all the apps based on the Cocoa engine, including Pages.

In the attached screenshot, in the lower part you may see these dics.

P.S. I am not very familiar with Norwegian, but it seems the article does not specify how to download and install OO dics.

User uploaded file

Sep 22, 2014 5:50 AM in response to TOM.NOR

Oh yes, it is, and you may easily find it via google, type anything like ‘open office dictionaries’’. Norwegian is not, I guess, pre-installed in OS X, you mus download an OpenOffice or LibreOffice module; then change their extension to .zip, double click, confirm, then move the 2 files with the extensions .dic and .aif in /Library. All apps based on the Apple engine will be able to use this spell dic.

https://www.openoffice.org/lingucomponent/download_dictionary.html

How do I get Pages to recognize the Norwegian language in spell-check?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.