Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Performa 637CD's CD-ROM drive not responding

When I go to insert a cd that is compatible with the hardware, nothing happens. If I go to open the tray, it will pop out like normally. When I close it with the cd in I hear the gears and hardware sounding like it's attempting to read, though the disk doesn't appear on the desktop. One of the cds I put in was an audio cd, so I checked to see if it was read by going to AppleCD Audio Player. I get a message saying "The Apple CD-ROM drive is not responding. Please be sure at least one Apple CD-ROM Drive is connected and turned on, then restart your Macintosh."

What's happening? Is here a way to fix this?

Performa 637CD-OTHER, Mac OS 8.6 or Earlier, 68k, OS 8.0, 20MB built in RAM

Posted on Jan 7, 2012 12:51 PM

3 replies

Jan 8, 2012 3:03 PM in response to salemfromakron

What are your other procedures for a probelm like this?

It's pretty low-tech, to be honest. Your issue sounds very much like the problem we had with the 4X optical drive in a PowerMac 6200/75. It made all the right noises but nothing would mount. I had an Apple external CD-ROM so used it until we retired the 6200. Shortly before parting out the 6200, I decided that looking inside the deceased drive would be educational and, as the drive was not working and out of warrantly, would be a free lesson.

I removed the drive and took off its top cover to expose the mechanism. I could see no obvious damage or parted wires. The read head was mounted on a rail of plated steel rod. I nudged the "head sled" assembly where it attached to the rod and it was apparently stuck. A slightly harder nudge freed it and I moved it to the limits of its motion several times before returning the head to its "parked" position.

I reassembled the drive and put it back in the computer. I had one more test for something else to run and, in the process, thought to try a CD. The darned thing worked perfectly!

After parting out the 6200, I installed this same resurrected drive in an 8100/80 that had a slow 2X drive. That was probably 6-7 years ago and the drive still works perfectly to his day.

The bottom line is that it seems some head sleds can get stuck on their mounting rail from lack of use. There is little to lose by opening the drive and seeing it you can manually free it.

Performa 637CD's CD-ROM drive not responding

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.