Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My display does not come on but has vga out. Moving the display brings up shut down box. Is this bad data cable?

ibook g4 a1133 display does not show data. Does have backlight through the apple logo and can not see anything by shining a light through the apple logo. Works ok through vga out to another monitor. Worked fine until I installed a larger hard drive. I am assuming that since I have vga out the video on the board is ok and the display data cable has been pinched at the hinge. I notice that the black microphone cable thats wrapped to the data cable was broken with bare wires sticking out. The data cable looked ok. I wraped the microphone with electrical tape and put the ibook back together. I typing this with the external monitor and works fine but if I move the display up to about 75 degrees a box pops up that shows options of shut down, continue, or sleep. By hitting continue the box goes away and the ibook continues to work ok. If the display is moved more to the open stage of about 50% the ibook shuts down without notice. This again probably suggests the display data cable is causing the problem or maybe a short somewhere. What do you think?

iBook, iOS 5.0.1, a1133

Posted on Jan 8, 2012 10:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 8, 2012 11:39 AM

Hi, and welcome to Apple Support Communities.

I think your assessment is probably correct. Sometimes a cable can look just fine, but the break is inside, where it can't be seen.

7 replies

Jan 8, 2012 7:30 PM in response to Ronda Wilson

Yes, have reset PMU several times. Only thing I noticed was I had to reset the time and date. From what I have read on the ibook a1133 was made with either a Chimel or Samsung display and use different data cables. I understand that I will have to open the display case to see which display is installed unles I can find out that by the ibook serial number. The ibook system # is 4H60679TSE7 (off the system profiler panel). Will this help me determine which cable to get?

Jan 9, 2012 7:13 AM in response to Ronda Wilson

Thanks Ronda,

I have already reviewed those links. Macpartsonline.com shows two different apple part numbers for a data cable for the ibook 12" a1133. 922-6831 for Samsung display and 922-6898 for Chimel display. Also in my searches found issue that you have to have the cable that matches the display or it will not work. Any truth to that? Thanks for all your help. Cliff

Jan 9, 2012 7:38 AM in response to clogsdon

I haven't actually had one apart and done it myself, but if iFixit shows a different part number for the cable for other models, then I expect that you do need the specific one.

http://www.ifixit.com/iBook-Parts/iBook-G4-12-Inch-800-1-1-2-GHz-Display-Data-Ca ble/IF183-061?utm_medium=frame_module_bottom&utm_term=ibook_g4_12%22_800_mhz-1.2 _ghz&utm_source=ifixit_guide&utm_content=related_products

So, it looks as if you do need the specific cable. That (cheaper) one won't work. Your iBook is the last, best 12-inch model. Apple did change that model in some significant ways. Since there are many more of the earlier models, parts for the model you have are rarer, and, therefore, usually more expensive.

I did request a "second opinion" for you, and dwb has replied.

dwb wrote:

Other than the cable being broken, the only thing I could add is that the cable isn't securely fastened. It has been so long (but not long enough!!) since I opened up an iBook that I can't envision the cable attaching to the logic board.

So you may want to check out that connection before ordering the cable.

My display does not come on but has vga out. Moving the display brings up shut down box. Is this bad data cable?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.