Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

RAW files - is there a list of supported cameras for iPhoto 6 ?

Hi.

I have a Nikon Coolpix 5700. iPhoto 5 cannot read the RAW files from this camera. As I use RAW files quite a lot, before buying iPhoto 6, I'm wondering if there is a RAW compatibility list out there somewhere that would suggest it's a worthwhile purchase. Or whether I should stick with the Nikon software...

Thanks

PowerMac 1.6 GHz G5 Mac OS X (10.4.4)

Posted on Feb 14, 2006 1:27 PM

7 replies

Feb 19, 2006 1:23 PM in response to Nick LDN

Hi. Many thanks for the link to the supported camera list. It looks like iPhoto6 doesn't support my camera's RAW files (there seems to be no icon against any of the cameras). Perhaps not surprising, neither does Aperture. Still it helps me make the decision on what software to buy for handling Nikon's RAW files: Nikon Capture. Thanks again for the pointer.

There is a list, not sure how often it's updated but
it's here. Those cameras for which Mac OS X (and
therefore iPhoto) has RAW support are indicated by an
icon.

PowerMac 1.6 GHz G5 Mac OS X (10.4.4)

May 14, 2006 1:14 AM in response to bazsim

Hi,
Apple, what is going on here: Many of the cameras that are supposedly supported by iPhoto 6 (0.2)

<http://www.apple.com/macosx/upgrade/cameras.html>

are evidently NOT supported, as borne out by the many contributions to this list. Are you misleading us?

It seems a large number of iPhoto (and Aperture) users are let down by the lack of support for popular RAW formats. For instance, after no success with Nikon Coolpix 5000 NEF files, I've tried converting them into DNG, which is claimed to be supported in Aperture at least, but this is not true either. How many out there are being misled?

I would have thought supporting DNG might have made it easier for Apple (and others) to keep up with the myriad RAW formats. If going the DNG route does not work, then what is the point of its excistence in the first place?

Some have suggested converting to JPEG (or TIFF) in other software and then importing into iPhoto or Aperture. This suggestion defeats the whole concept of having a "digital negative" in one central place ready for outputting into versions as required.

Leo

PowerBook G4, iMac G5, G5, G3 Mac OS X (10.4.6)

Jul 26, 2006 6:39 AM in response to leofredo

Similarly

I have a Nikon 5700. To get the NEF file onto my Mac I need to use Nikon View or Image Capture, iPhoto won't do it.

The photo will not import into iPhoto 6, but I can work with it in Photoshop Elements 4 (Bridge) and Lightroom beta 3 does a spectacular job when it comes to importing/editing.

I would however like to manage my collection with iPhoto but this des not seem possible. Not using iPhoto does mean I go back to managing in a manner not unlike what I did with Photosuite on a PC-and I really don't want to go back there.

RAW files - is there a list of supported cameras for iPhoto 6 ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.