Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Deleting iPhotos

Hi! To permanently delete photos from iPhoto, I realize you must go into either Events or Photos and delete from there. Unfortunately, I have thousdands of photos in my Photos list and hundreds of events in my Event list and it is next to impossible to find the photos I wish to delete.

Is there a way to premanently delete photos from my Folders or Albums? I have everything organized well in there and know exactly which photos I want permantly deleted. I can't find them in the messy Events or Photos list, though. Key command or something?

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Jan 8, 2012 12:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 8, 2012 12:42 PM

You can move a shot from an Album to the trash using the option-command-delete keystroke.

Then empty the trash.

Then - if you use iphoto 11 - also empty the system trash.

Regards

TD

19 replies

Apr 9, 2015 3:27 PM in response to tonyakay13

Realize this is old, but thought of posting here instead of a new thread.

With OS 10.10.3, we now have Photos to replace iPhoto (and Aperture).

Started up Photos for a quick 'look see'. It found all my pics. Started up iPhoto to find that all pics have been migrated to Photos. All good---so far.

Went to EasyFind and searched iPhoto to delete it. WOW--over 400 files. Practically all of them cannot be deleted without 'revealing in finder' and dragging, one by one, to trash; then entering system password.

This will take hours!!!! Need a way to delete iPhoto without all the hassle. Ideas????

Apr 9, 2015 4:47 PM in response to SUGilbert

You do realize that the new Photos is missing a lot of iPhoto's features that make it easy to use and so versatile. You might want to keep your iPhoto application and library until you're sure Photos will do everything you need. Once you delete them there's no going back unless you have a backup of your hard drive from before you upgraded to 10.10.3 and Photos.

User uploaded file

Apr 9, 2015 5:10 PM in response to SUGilbert

It's the TON of 'periphery' files

What periphery files. There are only the iPhoto preference file and the com.apple.iPhoto cache folder. You can delete them as follows:

1 - delete the iPhoto preference file, com.apple.iPhoto.plist, that resides in your

User/Home/Library/ Preferences folder.

2 - delete the the following folder: User/Library/Containers/com.apple.iPhoto

User uploaded file

That's all there is to delete with reference to iPhoto.

NOTE: For Mavericks and Yosemite, go to your Home folder and use the View âž™ Show View Options menu to bring the this window:

User uploaded file

where you can check the Show Library Folder checkbox.

HOWEVER, if you're never launched iPhoto and used it those two items will not be present.

Apr 10, 2015 8:46 AM in response to SUGilbert

Those files are part of the system and should not be deleted. The only iPhoto files that get created when you use iPhoto are the preference file and cache folder. There may be a couple of pref files in the ByHost folder of the Preferences folder.

If you delete any files other than what I posted above or any that reside in the System folder you will be in for some trouble. Be warned.

If you have deleted any of the I strongly suggest you boot into the Recovery volume (boot with the Command + R keys held down) and reinstall the system.

Deleting iPhotos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.